Friday, October 12, 2007

Devil in the Details

I don't really know what the title of my post means, but it sounded appropriate as I'm trying to get the last little details squared away between today and 2 1/2 weeks before I'll consider induction.

  • Quilt finished: check
  • Bumper finished: check (ok, so not quite check, but it will be done tonight and I'll post pictures)
  • Car seat purchased: check
  • Hospital back packed: check
  • Pack 'N Play with bassinet inset for our room: check (though I haven't set it up yet)
  • Figure out where the Labor and Delivery section is in the hospital: check (just yesterday)
  • Fridge cleaned: check
  • Nursery cleaned: mostly...once I finish the bumper and get the pack n' play pieces out it'll be dandy
  • Thank you cards made and sent out: check on the made. Need to get them out still.
  • Squaring away my church calling: .....Ok. So that's where I'm feeling stuck.
I can't quite decide what I should do about this one. While being primary chorister has it's ups, and I've enjoyed it more than I originally thought, it seems like it would be a difficult calling with a newborn. It covers a 2 hour block, and though I have breaks here and there, it doesn't feel like much. I'm not planning on doing anything for my calling after my due date (October 23) until I get back from CA after Christmas (January 3) at the very least. That means 2 full months of having to find a sub if they don't release me. I don't think they're planning on releasing me unless I request it.

Should I email the Primary Pres. and see if they could call a permanent sub for those two months? And if I decided it would be too much after that, the permanent sub could then be called to the position permanently maybe? I really hate asking to be released from a calling for a couple of reasons. The last time I suggested my release from a calling (since I had 2 and many people in the ward didn't even have 1), I ended up getting released from both of my callings (one of which I LOVED) and was called to something I didn't particularly enjoy. Also, what if I'm supposed to be there for some reason I just don't see? Oi. I don't like this situation at all. Any thoughts?

Anyway, I'm getting close to being ready for this baby people. I have to say, I have not been so pregnant that I'm miserable, but with one week left, I am feeling quite pregnant indeed. Just in the last week my hands and feet have started to swell enough that I've noticed (my wedding ring doesn't quite slip on so easily as it used to). My feet are tired after exercising and running errands for half a day. And my belly feels very heavy. In the last 2 weeks I've outgrown pretty much all of the shirts I purchased for pregnancy, so I'm now wearing the shirts I got from my much taller sisters. They work, but they're just a little big for this 5'3" girl. Plus I like them a little more fitted, and that wasn't the style when they were pregnant. At least I have (free) clothes to wear. Can't complain too much I suppose.

On the up side, the weather is finally starting to cool off! This week we've at least been out of the 90's during the day, and nights and mornings have been cooler than 75* so we've been able to open our windows and let the air circulate. I've even been cool enough at night to stay in my bed rather than moving to the couch under the fan. I have been making weird sighing noises when I sleep though. Not quite sure why.

I had a check up yesterday. More effaced and "a good 1 cm" dilated. "Still quite posterior" but the baby is where he should be, and he still seems to be doing just fine in his cramped quarters. He hasn't dropped at all, I haven't had any sort of contractions I've been aware of, and I've really had no indication he's planning on making his debut any time soon.

I'm a tiny bit worried about the hospital I'm supposed to deliver at. I swear the L&D is always packed. Every time I've tried to go in for a tour, all the rooms are full. If the rooms are all full when I go into labor, I'll either be put in triage to wait for a room or, worst case, I'll have to go to a different hospital further away. We at least know where the other hospital is since Matt had his appendix removed there, but I really would like to avoid that if possible. They say the weekend is usually less busy, so maybe I'll shoot for that. Ha! Like I have a say when this baby's coming.

Ah well. It will all work out.

10 comments:

Brooke said...

I totally understand all those emotions. It's such a crazy time right before your first baby. It sounds to me like you're REALLY on the ball! Way to go! About your calling...that's a tough one. I was kind of in a strange situation when I had Ellee. I was in the YW presidency (which I LOVED!), but we were leaving for the whole summer (as soon as she was born) for a job, so I knew I'd be gone for 3 months. I figured they'd just release me, but they wanted to keep me in (which I was excited, but also nervous about with weekly activities and Elliott's crazy schedule). Anyway, I worried about it a lot, but figured it'd all work out. Well, while I was gone, the president moved, so they just reorganized everything and I got released. I realized I had worried a LOT for no reason. So, my advice is to talk to your Primary presidency or bishopric and maybe voice your concerns, letting them know you'll be gone...and, I'm sure it'll work out one way or another. Anyway, that was long. Sorry. Good luck with whatever happens!

Lindsay said...

A girl in my old ward who had a baby 2 weeks before I did had a primary calling (she was a teacher). She just talked to the primary president and asked that she could help her arrange for someone to cover for her for about 6 weeks. Everyone was more than willing to help her out. I'd just talk to your primary pres -- she'll understand that you won't exactly be able to fulfill your calling for a while and I'm sure she'll help you out.

On the crowded L&D at your hospital...the few times I toured ours before Garrett was born, it was totally empty -- plenty of rooms. Then I went into labor. And so did everyone else in town. On a Saturday. Under a full moon. And so I totally ended up laboring in a triage room. It wasn't too bad -- the nurses were kind about it and tried to make me as comfortable as possible. And they were able to move me to a real delivery room in time to actually deliver and that was a blessed relief. I hope it all works out for you! You're not due near a full moon are you? :)

It sounds like you're ready -- or at least really close. I think it's good to go in feeling ready because it's a list of things you don't have to think about when you come home from the hospital with this tiny person, the responsibility for which will have the tendency to make you feel not so ready. But you'll do great!

FoxyJ said...

I would at least talk to your primary president and let her know your feelings. I recently spent two months as a long-term sub for our primary pianist after she had a baby, but she decided that she wanted to keep the calling. Doing the chorister is hard with a baby, especially a nursing baby. I was the primary president in my last ward, and even though I was pregnant and moving, I had to remind the bishop a month or so "um, you should probably call someone because I'm going to be out of commission and then moving". People in charge often have a lot to worry about and don't always think about these things or realize when they need to be done.

AmyJane said...

This really does bring back the flood of emotions that the end of pregnancy had for me too...at least you can rest assured that you're perfectly normal!
It does indeed sound like you have it all together, and even if a baby came now, you'd be fine. You have diapers, right? Then you're good to go! I'm one to talk--I had Patrick's nursery set up about three months before he was born, I was so neurotic/excited.
As far as your calling goes, I'm pretty much against asking to be released specifically, but I'm all about keeping people aprised of your plans. Once the primary pres and the bishop know your limitations, let them worry about how to handle it. When Patrick was born, I'd done that, and they said they were going to keep me in my calling and just work around my recuperation plans (I was the primary president) and then a week before my due date they decided to release me. Given all the medical crap I went through after he came, it was a very inspired release.
Anyway, good luck these last few days/hours/weeks. All babies come out. Every pregnancy ends. Thanks heavens for that!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Diapers and wipes: check

CASSIE said...

HEY! SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE JUST ABOUT READY! I AM IN THE EXACT SAME SITUATION AS YOU WITH PRIMARY CHORISTER...I JUST TALKED TO THE PRESIDENCY ABOUT FINDING A PERM SUB FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS--THEN IF I AM SUPPOSED TO CONTINUE BEING CHORISTER WITH A NEW BORN--THEN THAT IS WHAT THE LORD WANTS...I FEEL REALLY WEIRD ABOUT ASKING TO BE RELEASED AS WELL--WE'LL JUST HAVE TO PLAY IT BY EAR AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS...VERY CUTE PROJECTS YOU ARE MAKING THOUGH...ME NO TALENT AT ALL!!! GOOD LUCK..KEEP ME POSTED..I AM SOOO EXCITED TO HEAR ALL THE DETAILS!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Thanks guys for the comments. I decided to just write the Pres. and bring it up. Told her my 2 month thing and told her I was willing to do what she wanted with the situation be it a permanent sub, sub sign up, or release.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

OH, and Lindsay, I'm glad triage wasn't that bad. Thanks for sharing. I have heard that full moons to crazy things to pregnant ladies. Like make everyone go into labor at the same time. Weird how that works.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

No release. They're going to get subs and see how I feel in January.

Lady Steed said...

Ask for a sub, I am sure they will understand, they have children too right?

It sounds like you need to be getting lots of rest right now. I know you have things you want to complete but please rest. Take naps, sleep in, go to bed early. Being well rested before labor is the best advice I received--I wish I had taken it a bit more seriously. You will not regret being well rested.