Sunday, October 01, 2006

Friday May 13th 1994

I wasn't expecting a letter from me written 12 years ago. I'd long since forgotten the time-capsule-like project assigned to me my seventh grade year. But there it was when I opened the mail box, the memory waiting to be unlocked just as the letter sat waiting to be opened. The return address simply said,

Me!
7th grade
Friday 13 (May) 94

The mailing address was originally:
Celia Waterman
HC 63 Box 2003
Snowflake, AZ

My family's mailing address has changed twice since then. My personal mailing address has changed 12 times, averaging one change for every year passed. I've since graduated from High School, college, and have gotten married. I've lived in 4 different states and in one other country. But somehow the sender got my correct last name and my current mailing address. I think this letter was supposed to arrive my senior year of high school. Late though it may be, I'm impressed my teacher kept them all these years, tracked us down, and paid the postage.

Dear me! 5/13/94
I'm in Mrs. Martin's language arts class right now in the year 1994. I'm suposed [sic] to tell how I think I'm going to be when I'm a senior. I want to graduate in the top 10% of my class. I want to be good at sports and good in music. I hope to get a scolership [sic] in sports or music or anything. I'm going to go to BYU Haiwii [sic] or just BYU. I'm going to be moraly [sic] clean. I'm going to marry an active Mormon that is nice and likes me for me. I'll tell a little about my life now. I like Jake H. because I can just be me around him. My 2 best friends are Tasha F. and Shakira M. I love Mickey Mouse things and Bugs and Taz. I'm getting a straight A average and I have all year. I love sports and swimming. I'm 5'3 and I'll probably be 5'3" the rest of my life. I'm in band and chorus. I'm going to be in Honor Band and Honor Choir next year. I'm friends with almost everyone. Sheree M. really gets on my nerves. I almost got in a fight with her. I can't stand it when people think they're better than anyone. I like talking on the phone. It's so much fun. Well I better go and do the rest of my work.

-k- luv ya,
bu-by,
Celia

By 8th grade I ditched my Mickey, Bugs, and Taz clothing. Within 2 years I'd had a complete over haul in the friend department. Once we hit high school we all went our own ways. Some into drugs, some into sex, and some just into different circles of friends. At the time I wrote this I was angry at Sheree M. for making fun of me in PE. I was an early bloomer with larger boobs in the 7th grade than I even have now. One day she stuffed two big dodge balls up her shirt and started walking around saying, "look, I'm Celia." in a funny voice. I finally got over that, we both grew up a little, and we ended up being pretty good friends.

Now, I did pretty well at guessing some future events. I was not only in the top 10% of my graduating class, but I was in the top 5 students. I didn't end up playing many sports in High School (so obviously no scholarship there), and although I participated in just about as much choir as I could have, I didn't receive a scholarship for it either. I did on the other hand receive an full tuition academic scholarship to BYU-Hawaii, and a half tuition academic scholarship to BYU. And it was there at BYU, that first year out of High School, that I met my future husband (an active Mormon) who liked me for me.

Luckily I've since figured out how to tame down my hair a bit, and I've found some glasses that cover less than half my face. I'm still 5'3" and I agree with myself that I will probably be 5'3" the rest of my life (until I start to shrink that is).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

time capsule letters are always so worth it. good job on meeting a lot of your goals in life. it sounds like you had it together when you were in 7th grade. in fact, i am going to print this out and read it to my YW on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

We wrote letters to ourselves in 8th grade English that were to be opened in 2011 (why that year, I'm not sure). After we had written them, my teachers asked a few of us to share what we'd written. My classmate, Matt, raised his hand and said, "If I'm not married and have kids by then, I'm a dork," to which David quickly piped up to say, "What? Your whole purpose in life was to reproduce?!"

It was good times.

Th. said...

.

Wow. How twilight zone.

Why'd you pick half-tuition over full?

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

My sister said, "if you're ever going to live by family in college it's here [byu-provo] and it's now." She graduated the semester after I started. But we worked together so that was fun.

Plus Hawaii was characteristically slow in telling me that I'd received my scholarship. I was in the process of accepting Provo's offer when that one came in. I just decided to run with it. And it's a good thing since I met Matt that first year there.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

That last comment was just a repeat of my comment.

Anonymous said...

I did a time capsule a while back, but I think I didn't let it sit long enough. I put it in when I was about 27 and took it out when I was 33. In six years nothing had changed! Nother kid or two, thats about it. Six years would show a lot more changes for a kid I guess. Or maybe I need to get a few more things moving in my life.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

ROFL! That's so funny Cannon! And amanda, thanks for the comment.