Friday, September 29, 2006

Crushing on you

Today I called my sister's house to wish her oldest daughter a belated happy birthday. Nine years old with newly pierced ears and a chic short hair cut to boot!

Before calling I was feeling pretty down because of my week of disasters (mentioned in my previous post), so when I started talking to my sister, I broke down crying and I vented to her (since cyber-venting just isn't enough). It's always good to talk to family and have someone understand me and soothe me. But what really cheered me up was when she put me on the phone with her 5 year old daughter. When I asked her what her favorite subject in school was, she replied "snack time!" wherein she launched into telling me about getting different kinds of milk in different kinds of cartons. Strawberry, Chocolate or white milk. Oh the days when milk could be considered a subject...

When I got back on with my sister she told me the funniest story about that same little one.

Today she came home from school and said, "Mom, all the boys were crushing on me."

"What does that mean Emily?"

"Well, it means they chase me around the playground. Sometimes the girls chase the boys and sometimes the boys chase the girls."

"What happens if you catch the boys?"

"Oh, they're always faster than us."

"What happens if they catch you?"

"They squeeze us around the middle until we call out to the teacher to tell on them."

I "crushed on" boys in kindergarten and first grade. But my main "squeeze" that I loved to pin down and kiss all over was Steven Reidhead. He moved away in second grade. I guess I came on a little too strong...

When I told my sister this she said, "I think that kissing's not allowed at school. It's part of sexual harassment." "Oh, and squeezing girls so tight around the middle till they call for the teacher isn't as bad as kissing?"

"I'm pretty sure that's against the rules too."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that this is typical behaivor! Sarah has been chasing this boy at the bus stop and in turn he has been chasing her. The other day we were riding is our car with another kindergartener and Sarah said "I have a boyfriend" Oh man I almost slammed on the brakes! Then I said you mean you have a friend that is a boy. She said you know Jared at the bus. I just let it go and she didn't mention it again, but man I didn't think that kids this age even talked like this! A whole new world...

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

What, you didn't chase boys around the playground when you were little?

That's funny though. I can't quite imagine Sarah chasing a boy around.

Suz said she never had this with her other kids because they lived in tiny Double Adobe where the boys and girls all played together like normal because there were so few kids to begin with.

Because the schools are so big in Round Valley, the girls tend to stick with the girls and the boys stick with the boys and then they make it this game to chase/flirt with the opposite sex. Even at age 5.

Anonymous said...

you know me I have an TERRIBLE memory! I do remember usuing the tunnels as a safe spot...Aaron remembered the girls chasing him and he didn't like it at all.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

That's funny. We called the red tunnel the "love tunnel". No safe zone for us. haha.

I must have just always been boy crazy though.

Anonymous said...

you know I don't think that I ever chased boys... I always was "one of the boys" my friends in the neighborhood were all boys (well Tricia and Jamie were in and out.) Sarah has never talked about boys being different...hum I guess I am getting old! J

Anonymous said...

"Oh for the days when milk could be considered a subject" made me think "Oh for the days when kindergarten crushing could be considered a cause for parental concern!