Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Testing, testing, 1-2-3

We discussed our first round of tests with the Doc (as he'd like us to call him) yesterday. He was a pretty funny guy. Very talkative and upbeat. It kind of made me think about my yoga teacher. One time I asked her how she could always be so up beat and positive when teaching all 13 aerobic or yoga classes and she said, "You know, a lot of it is acting. That's what the class needs so that's what I need to give. Some days it's not acting, but a lot of days it is." So, that's kind of what I thought of him. He's probably a normally upbeat guy, but I'm sure he also has to put on a show and keep it positive so couples who come in don't feel too despondent.

If it were a boxing match, we'd have lost the first round. The outcome wasn't optimal to say the least, but it wasn't hopeless either. I thought the funniest thing he said to us was, "With test results like these it's good to get help rather than just pray that the good Lord will send you a miracle. I mean, there is a slight chance you could get pregnant on your own without medical help, but it is a slight chance." Now that I reread that, it's hard to convey the humor without his charismatic, optimistic style.

We both have some issues and now we're doing round 2 of testing (blood work and the like) to see what exactly we need to do to move forward. He was very happy to hear that I was 25. Most couples he works with are in their 30's or 40's. He says youth is to our advantage.

I don't think either of us are feeling hopeless or gloomy. Things will work out, it just might not be in the way we imagined.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a little hard to comment on. Kind of a serious subject. I am looking at the last two sentences realizing that my English professor son would mark them up with a red pencil.

I think all who read this blog would say that we wish you the best. Thank heavens for medical science. (But I do think we will keep praying too!)

Anonymous said...

Agreed...this one is a hard one to comment on. I can only say that I wish you the best and that I completely understand how difficult this may be. Will be thinking of you!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Yeah, sometimes when I write it's not with grammar in mind (or comments for that matter). Hopefully no one is swearing me off because of either. I just figured I'd update since I had that huge previous post.

Anonymous said...

hhhhhhhhhfxxxxxxxccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccvvvv Becca wanted to say that she liked the Reader Rabbit. Hum...she doesn't even know who Buggs Bunny is! j

Th. said...

.

Your mom's right.

Sarah said...

Regardless of scientific probability of prayer, I think it's safe to say it never hurts. It truly is amazing what the medical community can do but there are also so many other good options. I've tried to convince Adam of adoption a couple of times even though we don't have a medical need but he doesn't get it. But to me, that's the ultimate form of showing love. I know you guys will be able to know which of the many good options are best for you.