Saturday, September 02, 2006

Pucker up

I love all things sour. My favorite candies are the kind that make the saliva production start just thinking about them. Sour patch kids. Talk about a total downfall. I never buy them because I will eat them until my tongue is raw and my stomach is sick. Warheads were wonderful while they lasted. Sour altoids. Sour altoid gum packs an incredibly powerful sour punch, though I avoid it because it feels like the acid is stripping away the enamel on my teeth. I doubt dentists recommend it.

A whole pickle was a delicious but rare treat growing up. Someone once dared me to drink pickle juice. Little did they know that was like throwing the brer rabbit in the briar patch. Yum. Don't even get me started on salt and vinegar chips. Two of my favorite things coming together on a deliciously greasy medium. Also something I try to avoid buying regularly.

My favorite summer vegetable is cucumber saturated in cider vinegar and doused with kosher salt. Talk about heavenly. I just polished off a huge bowl.

I think my love for the sour stuff started in my childhood with homemade vinegar salad dressings and the traditional Sunday night vinegar drink and air-popped popcorn. You take a tall glass of water, get it nice and hot, add a couple cap fulls of cider vinegar and some honey to sweeten the deal. Cleans you right out and opens you up. Works wonders on colds. The first time I made it my freshman year in the dorms my roommates were totally grossed out. They made me shut the kitchen door while I made it because they said the vinegar smelled gross. It just reminded me of home. Ah sweet (or sour?) memories.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Hmm... I'm going to have to try that concotion. I'm totally into all the weird homeopathic remedies.

I have a love/hate relationship with sour. On the one hand, anything that can make my eyebrows sweat is just cool, but there is that moment of sheer dread before the sour thing actually hits your tounge.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I think we had it as kind of a preventative method. If my memory is correct, we'd drink it every Sunday evening regardless if we were sick or not.

Though my choir teacher, completely separately told us we should do that before a concert if we were sick.

I'm a believer. And I like the taste of it anyway.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! The first time I made vinegar drink Aaron thought it was the MOST disgusting thing I could ever drink. I have thus switched to lemon drink (although I only drink it when I am sick). Aaron also was grossed out by the cucumbers swimming in vinegar and salt...hum I only made it that one time because he thought it was so repuslive. He also didn't like my sweet and sour meatballs because too much vinegar...he has a real sensitive stomach!

My favorite sour candy is shock tarts! I remember bringing money to Jr High so I could by shock tarts and here at our local grocery store they ofter are $.25 so I will buy them as a treat.

love j

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Yeah, Matt thinks I'm a bit weird with the drink, but he doesn't really care. I don't drink it all the time now, just when I'm sick.

He'll eat cucumbers and vinegar, but he likes it with a lot less vinegar than I do.

As for shocktarts, I can't even remember what candy those are! How have I missed it? Are they chewy or hard? or do they have both?

Anonymous said...

ooh they are chewy...they are GREAT! They come in a roll like sweetarts. Nestle makes them. Look for them the next time you are at the store. j

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

OH yes!! I remember them now. I do remember loving them. I'd forgotten about them. I'll have to pick me some up.

FoxyJ said...

Ooh, I love sour things too! When I'm pregnant that always ends up being a major craving, especially during the first trimester when I'm feeling queasy. My husband thinks I'm weird for eating cucumbers with vinegar, but I think he's weird for not liking them.

Anonymous said...

Learning to like sour took me a long time. I remember once when I was little, my grandma gave me one of those tear jerker candies and I just about died. Once I finally recovered from that (a few years later), I discovered that sour has its good points. And now I'm hooked on altoids sour raspberries.

Anonymous said...

sorry this is a late comment. i just got back from vacation.

My freshman roommates had the exact reaction to vinegar and honey--thought it was weird and gross and smelled funny. It is amazing how you grow up thinking things are completely normal in your family only to find out the rest of the world doesn't think so.

As for sour candy, I love them too, especially during pregnancy. But I have had to swear them off because of the dental problems that they cause (this kind of candy is much, much worse than chocolate, my dentist tells me). I never get cavities except when I have been pregnant, and although there are a lot of theories, it might just have been all of the sour patch kids and laffy taffy that I hid from my kids and ate every night. heh, heh, heh.

my replacement? ice breakers sugar free tropical fruit breath mint-type sour candy. mmmmmm.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Amanda, loved the comment.

I wonder if this is why I've had a slew of cavities in my life time. I don't eat much chocolate, but I do love my sour stuff.

It's funny to picture you hiding the contraband sour candies from your kids and sneaking them when they're asleep...hahahahaha.

I've never tried those ice breakers.