Friday, September 29, 2006

Why I never want to be a small business owner

My boss has been out of town now for almost a week and I've in essence been doing his job (owning and running 2 similar small businesses simultaneously). Not really my cup of tea I tell you. It seems like people are continually mad, annoyed, put out, etc. by what I say, do, and not do.

The following is a list of things I struggled with this week.
  • Having to forfeit my paycheck until the owner gets back in town because a carpet installer HAD to be paid by check at the end of his job yesterday. I only had enough signed checks for payroll.
  • Having a flood job gone bad wherein we caused secondary damage to the already damaged floor. I don't know anything about floods or flooring, but I do know that cutting the price in half for them (which is what we had to do) is not good for our business.
  • One night I locked up the office and was going to have the tech just lock up his stuff in the work van when he got back late that night. I'd asked him if he had everything he needed out of the house so I could lock up when I left. He said he did, but he'd in fact he'd left his keys and motorcycle helmet inside. He ended up staying here over night and sleeping in the van because he didn't have a phone with him to call anyone. (He really was quite daft on this one...so many possible solutions with better results than sleeping the van. Walk a mile to a gas station to use a pay phone, drive the work van home and come back early the next day, ask a neighbor if he could use their phone, etc., etc.).
  • That same tech trying to "break in" to the office (located in the garage of the owner's house) to retrieve his helmet and keys. He eventually ended up completely jacking up the door. So much, in fact, I'm getting a garage door company to come and hopefully fix it today. I don't know if employee stupidity is covered under warranty.
  • Having the two techs (who are extremely nice and polite) try to be understanding of the problems that have arisen, but are understandably testy and frustrated with the entire week.
  • Having to call and email my boss, even though he expressly told us to not call or email about the business if at all possible. I've only been working here 3 months! I tried to let him have a worry free vacation, but for heaven's sake, I don't know everything!
  • Having stupid VOIP phones--internet phone service, which completely SUCKS. It's continually dropping calls, cutting out, echoing, static. Yes you get unlimited long distance, but that's no way to run a business.
  • Having a customer annoyed with me because the office didn't open at 7 AM to take her call to change her appointment. Who opens their office at 7 AM anyway?
  • I don't like being in charge of important information or people's livelihoods and/or schedules. I feel like I'm ruining people's lives.
  • I've been driving his wife's car since we have only one car. Without it I couldn't have worked the schedule he wanted because I'd have to drop off and pick up Matt. Anyway, I almost got side swiped yesterday on the freeway. I was in a guy's blind spot (or he just didn't look before moving into my lane). I had to swerve to miss being in a wreck. However, that made me overcorrect and start to fishtail 4-5 times. Scary.
He comes back on Tuesday night at which time I think I may quit. Or maybe just request to have a sabbatical... Well, maybe I should just ask for Wednesday off.

3 comments:

Th. said...

.

Or something.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I am obviously writing this post at work. So when I said the tech "stayed here that night in the van" I meant here at the office.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh, and I just found out voip doesn't have unlimited long distance. Just unlimited long distance in TX! WHAT A TOTAL RIP OFF!!!

DOWN WITH VOIP! DOWN WITH VOIP! DOWN WITH VOIP!