Sunday, September 03, 2006

Movie Mania

When we left Provo we were a little sad to leave behind one of our only sources of cheap entertainment--the dollar theaters. Sure you had to wait until the movie was released on video. Sure you didn't have great seating. But it was a movie, on a big screen, for just $1! I mean, for that price you could even see mediocre movies and not feel like you'd wasted a wad.

The drawbacks for the dollar theaters that were not so huge to keep us from going, but big enough to be an annoyance:
  1. People felt like it was their living room. They'd make comments out loud to their friends, answer cell phones (or just flip it open every few minutes so I'd be bugged by the blue light radiating from the phone), make out, and generally make a lot of noise.
  2. Without stadium seating you'd have to choose your seats very carefully. We'd often try to sit behind someone who was already slouching. It's amazing how many people sit straight up tall with huge heads or poofy hair! This is a place where poor posture is almost mandatory as a courtesy for the people behind you.
  3. Because of the affordable ticket price, it was always packed. We preferred the University Mall Cinema to Movies 8 because it was a lot less crowded. Even so, we had to buy our tickets hours before the show to avoid a nasty long line.
We saw very, very few movies anywhere else during our time in Provo. One year my sister bought us a Cinemark gift card for Christmas so we could actually see a show when it came out. We saved it for movies we deemed worthy of the ample room and stadium seating. Napoleon Dynamite and Star Wars III. Both movies well worth it.

We have been quite happy to find that there is a happy medium here. The McKinney theater shows new movies, and if you go before 5 PM, it only costs $2.50 per adult (only $5 after 5pm)! It's fabulous! The interior corridors look like a circus painted with bright fuchsia and yellow with framed black and white posters of actors and actresses of yesteryear. The seating is better than the dollar theater but not so good as a regular theater. The crowds that frequent it are a little more courteous than the dollars, but more talkative than a full price theater.

We still have to be careful of our seating choices. Now it's mostly to avoid thick smelling smoke or perfume, chatty Kathys, and children who shouldn't be in the movie to begin with. (Yesterday for instance. Talladega Nights: the Ballad of Ricky Bobby. Not a kid's movie. The majority of the humor was too crass for me and I felt a bit uncomfortable myself. It was shocking to me that there was a boy behind us that was about 6 years old. The parents seemed oblivious to his constant "what does that mean? what happened? I don't get it." Come on people. You only paid 5 bucks for your tickets. Find a baby sitter for 2 hours!)

All in all it was a good trade.

My take on the shows we've seen here thus far: (out of 5 *)
  • Superman: **** (good, but not quite so good as Batman Begins. Can't put my finger on why it's not a 5*)
  • X-Men: ***** (I'm starting to quite like and even prefer these comic book movies)
  • The DaVinci Code: **** (what's all the fuss about? it's fiction pure and simple.)
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: ***** (good though unfortunately we had to sit in the 2nd row)
  • Lady in the Water: ** (ok but a bit boring)
  • Talladega Nights: a ballad of Ricky Bobby: * (the 1 * is for the out takes and the few scenes shown on the previews that were funny. It's too bad because I really love Will Ferrell as an actor.)
I would like to see World Trade Center, though I'm sure I'll cry through the whole thing since I cried in the previews. Anyone seen it?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have found some cheap entertainment. I also hope you will spring for the more expensive occasionally. I see my parents rarely do anything that costs money because of their lifetime habit of living on the cheap. Now they can totally afford to do anything they would like but they don't. So splurge once in awhile and know that you are worth it!

As for the World Trade Center movie, I will never go see it. Do you know that to this day I have never seen the news clips of the planes going in? We did not have TV cable at the time and I got all my updates on the internet. Because we had 5 family members in harms way that day (Bry's family and Aaron)I just can't handle watching anything about it. I have never seen Nathan's senior class video because it starts with newsclips of the WTC going down. Your Dad was asked to talk at the high school memorial on Sept 11, 2002. I stood at the back and bawled because even after a year the memories of fear for my loved ones were too close.

But hey, you go see the movie and tell me what you think.

Anonymous said...

Yay for $1 theaters! I agree with you...they have their drawbacks, but sometimes it's nice to feel you're going "out" on a date (as opposed to staying in for a date with free movie rentals from the library). They recently re-instated the $1 movies here in Muncie and we haven't turned back.

And I'm also not sure if I could bring myself to see the new WTC movie. I cry too easily during movies.

BWaterman said...

i won't be able to see the WTC movie for obvious reasons. i almost threw up when i caught a moment of the previews. i can't believe it's showing in my neighborhood either, but it is. the residents had them pull the previews, but maybe the chain thought it was too much money to lose from all the WTC tourists who come down there every day. (the theater has 3rd and 4th floor windows that look out into the WTC hole in the ground.)

i *loved* ricky bobby! i saw it three times! (2 of which cost $10!) i thought it was brilliant satire. i normally don't go for silly comedies, but that one really hit me the right way.

i've also long since accepted the fact that movies cost $10 a pop. oh well.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Totally understand B. When I first saw the preview I was shocked that it came out so soon. 5 years really isn't that long.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I also want to make sure everyone knows I don't mind sitting by kids in kids movies. I just don't enjoy sitting by kids in adult movies that kids don't understand.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I can watch the WTC movie either...I couldn't watch the news durring the event. Bry just thinking about it would give you nightmares I am sure.

as for kids in adult movies I am with you there Cel! love, j

Mizike said...

We haven't seen the WTC movie yet, although its at the top of Skyprincess's list. We have seen the movie based on the United Flight 93. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I really didn't think Skyprincess would be able to make it through the movie, since she lost so many fellow flight crew members that day (some of which she knew really well). Its also scary to know that one of the flights that hit the towers was her old flight she use to work.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Wow Mizike. I didn't know that. That really is crazy to think about. Prof. B lives really close to ground zero and unfortunately witnessed everything first hand while taking his girls to school.

On one hand I could see why people couldn't go see the movie. Too painful. Memories too fresh. Had I lived though it I most likely wouldn't have seen it.

I kind of feel like the movie could help people that felt very removed and untouched by it all. Truthfully, though I had seen footage of it the morning of 9/11/01, I couldn't really grasp how big it was. It wasn't until I read my brother's eye witness account and how it effected him that I began to get a glimpse at what this really was.

P.S. Mizike- It's a good thing Skyprincess is still here and that you guys just got married and are now touring China for your honeymoon! Hope you're having fun!

Th. said...

.

That's it. We're moving to Texas.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Woo hoo! Move on over. If it's the cheap movies that get you here, so be it!

I bet we could talk the Bras(s) parents into it too. They could sell their house in Moss Beach and have enough to buy each person their own house here. We could make it the new CA. (You know, one that's mostly Republican and allows guns. Two HUGE selling points for the Dad Bras(s)).

Th. said...

.

Wow.

IT sounds like you've already won this argument.