Sunday, September 10, 2006

Labor of Love

The extent of my video game playing in my childhood consisted of an old atari that had a total of about 6 games. Pac Man, Donkey Kong Jr., Dungeons and Dragons (I think that was it anyway, I wasn't allowed to play that one) and a few other classics. It was fun while it lasted, but that grew quite outdated and by the time I was in high school I was fairly anti-video game. I didn't really see the point and there always seemed something better and more productive to do. Practice the piano, read a book, hang out with friends. Most anything seemed more entertaining to me than gaming.

Then enters my dear husband into my life, a man who lives and breaths computer games (and would program them if he'd had an in into the industry). I didn't really get his love for gaming, but I couldn't really get on him for it since he'd do everything he needed to. He had a 4.0 GPA most semesters so I couldn't complain. In the first year of our marriage he started playing a game called World of Warcraft. It's an MMORPG and 1000 x's more demanding and addicting. (If you thought Mormons had a lot of acronyms, try gaming.)

Fast forward two years and I found myself playing as well. I played for a year, got my character to lvl 60 (Horde: troll mage on a PvP server), but I found that to keep playing a lvl 60 required hours of commitment to a group every night, and I wasn't willing to do that. So I started a second character and played to level 30 then decided to break away from WoW while I could. 4 months later Matt's signed me up again to help him out. He needed my druid leveled to 60, so I find myself playing again. Level 38.

Interesting the things you'll do for love. Things you never imagined in you'd be doing or saying in your entire life. "My druid." Did I really just say that? I'm no longer the just the wife of a computer nerd, I'm turning into one myself...

4 comments:

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I really don't like that blogger's dating system posts them when you start the post. I wrote a few things on Sunday and the majority today. So I wish it would just show up as being today's post. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hate the dating system in blogger as well...I always end up going in and manually changing the date and time to when I want it.

Mizike said...

Grrr.. why don't you play on a non-PVP server so I can play also!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

because i mainly play for him...

seriously.

I'd broken the connection. He signed me up. I'm a total sucker when he asks me for help.

plus, you turned alliance and he said he'd allow no alliance in this house.