Monday, July 31, 2006

The year we were born

Today, my dear readers, my husband turned 25 years old. Matt has continually heckled me about being an old lady since I turned 25 (3 months ago). Pay back time. Ok, not really. I mean, I don't think you could really consider a cake with candles that read "Over the Hill" as pay back. But, it's good enough for me I guess.

So far the b-day loot he's received is:
  • a couple of cards
  • some sweet mula from his parents
  • three cds from me
  • a superman action figure from the life cereal box sweepstakes thingy
I know there are a few more things on the way, but this is his haul year-to-date.

So to commemorate his birthday and our birth year, I've decided to take you on a little trip down nostalgia road and revisit the year 1981.

The Top Grossing Movies of 1981
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Superman II
  • Stir Crazy
  • Nine to Five
  • Stripes
  • Any Which Way You Can
  • Arthur
  • The Cannonball Run
  • The Four Seasons
  • For Your Eyes Only

Top 10 Songs of 1981
  1. Bette Davis Eyes, Kim Carnes
  2. Endless Love, Diana Ross and Lionel Richie
  3. Lady, Kenny Rogers
  4. (Just Like) Starting Over, John Lennon
  5. Jessie's Girl, Rick Springfield
  6. Celebration, Kool and The Gang
  7. Kiss On My List, Daryl Hall and John Oates
  8. I Love A Rainy Night, Eddie Rabbitt
  9. 9 To 5, Dolly Parton
  10. Keep On Loving You, REO Speedwagon

Top 20 TV shows of 1981
  • Dallas
  • 60 Minutes
  • The Jeffersons
  • Joanie Loves Chachi
  • Three's Company
  • Alice
  • The Dukes of Hazzard
  • Too Close for Comfort
  • ABC Monday Night Movie
  • M*A*S*H
  • One Day at a Time
  • NFL Monday Night Football
  • Archie Bunker's Place
  • Falcon Crest
  • The Love Boat
  • Hart to Hart
  • Trapper John, M.D.
  • Magnum, P.I.
  • Happy Days
  • Dynasty

  • Interesting news of 1981 (taken from wikipedia)
    • January 13 Donna Griffiths, a schoolgirl in Pershore, Worcestershire, UK, begins an uncontrollable series of sneezes that end September 16, 1983- after 978 days
    • January 20- President-elect Ronald Reagan succeeds Jimmy Carter as President of the United States of America.
    • Minutes after Reagan becomes president, Iran releases 52 American hostages that had been held captive for 444 days - Iran hostage crisis ends
    • March 30 - President Ronald Reagan is shot in the chest outside a Washington, D.C., hotel by John Hinckley, Jr. Two police officers and James Brady are also wounded.
    • April 1 -– Daylight saving time is introduced in the USSR.
    • June 5 -– The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that five homosexual men in Los Angeles, CA have a rare form of pneumonia seen only in patients with weakened immune systems (these were the first recognized cases of AIDS).
    • July 29 -– Lady Diana Spencer marries Charles, Prince of Wales.
    • August 1 - MTV (Music Television) is launched.
    • August 11 - The original Model 5150 IBM PC with a 4.77 MHz Intel 8088 processor was released in the United States at a base price of $1,565.
    • August 19 - US President Ronald Reagan appoints the first female US Supreme Court Justice, Sandra Day O-’Conner.
    • November 30 - Cold War: In Geneva, representatives from the United States and the Soviet Union begin to negotiate intermediate-range nuclear weapon reductions in Europe (the meetings ended inconclusively on Thursday, December 17)
    • December 28 - The first American test-tube baby, Elizabeth Jordan Carr, is born (Norfolk, VA)

    Popular Toys around the 1980's
    Atari
    Cabbage Patch Kids
    Care Bears
    Mattel Football
    Pac-Man
    Pictionary
    Pound Puppies
    The Rubik’s cube
    Strawberry Shortcake
    Teddy Ruxpin
    Trivial Pursuit

    I hope you enjoyed this little flash back. (Please forgive my formatting atrocities. Blogger's being weird with me tonight.)

    7 comments:

    N.F. said...

    Ouch. BIG TIME ouch.

    (I was born in 1972 and am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO old!)

    Lindsay said...

    Ah...sweet memories.

    Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

    Noelle feather, you're not old. We're just young.

    I feel the same way when I hear of girls in my ward getting married that graduated in 2005!!! But they're really young.

    Anonymous said...

    Fun lists. Amazing how I knew the toys more than the music! Shows you what I was doing in 1981. Question is: Do you remember the toys?

    PS Happy birthday to Matt. I guess my card/money hasn't arrived yet but should momentarily. This is the first test of the pony express time from here to the Dallas area. Anything has to be faster than from here to Provo.

    C. Jane Kendrick said...

    If only, if only I was born the same year as "I Love A Rainy Night."

    Because really, I do.

    Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

    We actually did get the card mom! He says thanks. It came on Monday but it fell down beside the drivers seat and the console so we didn't find/open it till yesterday. Oops.

    Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

    Oh, and I think the Teddy Ruxpin was the only toy on the list we didn't actually own, but I do remember the toy. So, yes, I do remember all of them.