Saturday, July 22, 2006

Violated

It looks like we are recent recipients of bank fraud. I looked at our account today to see if our mortgage payment went through and it had. Only problem was we didn't have sufficient funds in our checking to cover it so our account went into overdraft (luckily just went onto Matt's credit card so we don't have to pay outrageous fees or anything). I had no idea how that could be since I had specifically checked our account before I sent in the payment and we had enough to pay multiple payments if we had wanted to.

Matt spotted it first. A $2000 tele-transfer to a credit card that was not ours. What the heck was a tele-transfer anyway? Apparently it's when you call in. When you call in you have to give the account number and your pin number to access the bank information. I don't know how in the world anyone would have that information. I've never told anyone my pin and the only time I ever punch it in is when I'm using the ATM or checking out at the grocery store. Matt's even more paranoid and secure with his info than I am.

I'm currently on the phone with a Wells Fargo rep. trying to get it figured out. This dang well better be taken care of with our money reinstated to us and the overdraft erased. That's all I have to say.

6 comments:

Th. said...

.

!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I figured out what happened. It wasn't fraud but a @#$%%^& misunderstanding that I will write about in a new post.

I can't tell you how angry I am at Wells Fargo and the whole crap faced messed up credit system. I also can't tell you how many swears want to come spewing out of my mouth right now. Good thing @(#*&(*@&#$^_! are cathardic.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

*#$&^!)(*@!!

Lady Steed said...

OH MY GOSH! Well I am glad to hear it was not actually identity theft, but I am interested to hear all the details of what it really was. This now reaffirms my decision to not bank with Wells Fargo.

N.F. said...

Glad to hear you figured out what had happened.

On a similar note, I've decided (and my mom, too) that we will no longer use our debit card for purchases (on line stuff, dinner, etc.), just IN CASE someone gets/sees our numbers, etc., a bad thing won't happen to our checking account. We use our credit cards for everything, and then if we see a weird charge, we can dispute it that way.

Th. said...

.

Thieves apparently have devises that read PINs of previous purchasers (which screams BAD DESIGN at whoever made the card readers that they would have such a weakness) and so many identity-theft experts recommend, if you use a debit card at all, to use it like a credit card.