Thursday, July 20, 2006

Testing, Testing, 123

I'm a working girl once again. So far this week I've gone to two networking meetings, sat in on two flooring bids, tried to help a very picky and indecisive man pick out carpeting without his wife present, and I sat in a chaotic office this morning during "training."

It's exciting. And tiring. And a little scary. Not to mention overwhelming.

As I stated earlier our new found friends have hired me on for their carpet cleaning business doing office work and some networking. They opened business one year ago this week, so they're pretty darn young in terms of small business. They struggled a lot the first six months, but they've really been doing quite well since January. The owner is one year older than me and has the true entrepreneurial spirit. His business's motto is "World conquest begins in your home town."

My job arose out of necessity. Because his business has been growing, he's become increasingly busier and he stopped doing office work other than scheduling about a month and a half ago. So there is a stack of work waiting for me. They've never had an office manager other than the owner himself, so I can foresee the training being a bit chaotic and hap-hazard; kinda like being thrown into a lions den. On the plus side, they're pretty flexible, quite understanding, and I can make the job my own since no body's gone before me on this one.

I will be required to become a trained and certified carpet technician, so I have a big three ring binder filled with nuggats of information such as, "Hot, liquid polymer is pumped through a spinneret to create a fiber." that serves as a study guide. I'll eventually have to take a class and the most expensive test I've ever taken.

Aw man. I thought I was done studying and test taking when I graduated 2 years ago...

Back to the books my friends. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love the story of how you ended up with this job. Good luck! It's kind of nice to have a job you can create yourself because you don't have to work with anyone else's lame systems. Plus, it's a great chance for you to shine and wiggle for a raise in due time.

The training manual sounds awful, but hey, you never know when you'll be trapped in a spinneret and have to know where the emergency shut off switch is to save your life. Good luck with the books - I don't envy you.

Lindsay said...

Yay for new jobs! Hope all goes well. You gotta love it when decent jobs just sort fall into your lap. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats Sil, I'm so glad that you're finding your place in the big state of Texas. You'll have your hands full for sure.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Thanks for the support ladies!