Tuesday, July 18, 2006

It's hot

and I feel sticky.

It makes me want to sleep.

It's about 102* right now. Luckily the humidity is relatively low at 28% right now or it would be worse. I don't know if I believe that or not though. It feels thick out there.

The sun was bleeding communist red today. When I was in China trying to teach the kids colors I would ask them questions such as "What color is the sun?" fully expecting a resounding "YELLOW!" when infact it was a resounding "RED!!" From that day on I noticed, the sun did indeed bleed red there because of the pollution. I've noticed the last two days that the sun was very large and red and could be beheld with the naked eye because there was so much junk in front of it called pollution.

Another funny Chinese color story was when I asked the kids what color my hair was. I was expecting "brown" but I received the shout "YELLOW!" I said, "really? yellow?" Then I turned and asked their Chinese English teacher, "What color would you say my hair is?" After scrutinizing me he said, "Golden?" I'm sure he would have said yellow also but could tell that was not the answer I was after. It reminds me of the teeth whitening commercial where the teacher asks her kindergarteners what color her teeth are. "Off white!" "Cream" "Mother of Pearl!"

Kids. Telling it like it is.

6 comments:

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

It could be worse I guess. We had the missionaries over for dinner and they were saying how hard it is to tract in this heat. In dress clothes.

Lindsay said...

Hot, humid weather always makes me think of a song my roommates once made up:

"I Feel Sticky" (sung to the tune of "I Feel Pretty")

I feel sticky
I feel sticky
I feel sticky
And icky
What a day!

N.F. said...

Where I live, humidity is upwords of 90%.

IT SUCKS.

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

I do not envy you Texas in the summer.

Anonymous said...

The hair color story is hilarious. But when you think about how everyone there has super black hair I guess in comparison your hair was golden. The only time we saw a red/orange sun here was during the huge forest fire that was 20 miles away. It made everything have an orange cast to it. Does your red sun have that quality?

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

No, it doesn't leave an orange cast. It just dillutes the brightness of the sun to the point you can look at it. However, I think you can still burn your eyes if you look too long. It's like getting a sunburn through a cloud so you shouldn't look at it.