Wednesday, July 12, 2006

So You Think You Can Dance?

My latest favorite past time entertainment has got to be the show "So you think you can dance." Absolutely amazing. The thing that gets me is that the contestants on the show are ages 18-28; they're young, but they are dang good. Each person has a specialty, but they are randomly partnered with people of different genres. Some have professional training, and some are self taught. Some times they get to perform the style they're comfortable with, and some times they have never even seen the style of dance performed! They draw their dances out of a hat and are expected to learn very difficult choreography in genres ranging from waltz to cha-cha to contemporary to krumping. Imagine a stiff ballroom dancer having to learn how to get jiggy and hip hop or visa versa. And they do it. Amazingly well.

Dance is exhilarating. It is the ultimate expression of life in my mind. Joy, pain, passion, elegance. Just watching these people make me experience the emotion; they capture a snapshot of life in a 2-3 minute whirlwind of movement. They make it look so easy and seamless.

My desire to dance began early. My older sisters had taken dance and it just seemed like so much fun. I begged and begged my mom to let me take dance lessons.

Sept. 20, 1987--age 6
We had my first dance recital. J. and I had matching costumes. They were purple with gloves and purple ribbons in our shoes. I lost one of my front teeth. [I'm pretty positive this had nothing to do with the dance recital.]

Back then I didn't know about Latin or Ballroom Dancing, but I sure did love to shake my hips and let myself go. There wasn't a whole lot in the way of style choices. We had tap, ballet, and later, clogging. Yes, clogging. That was the beginning of the end of my first era of dancing. It was just a little too geeky for even me.

I always looked forward to dances in Jr. High and High School. Not that anyone ever really danced at school dances. Unless, of course, my dad was one of the teacher chaperones. My peers all loved watching my dad let loose and have fun. Luckily I wasn't one of those kids easily embarrassed by their parents! I thought it was quite fun to get down and do "the vulture" or some other cool move my generation hadn't ever seen. Slow dances generally meant standing on one place barely moving your feet just so you could have an excuse to get close to a member of the opposite sex. I started losing interest around my Junior year because of that. Talk about Bo-ring!

College brought dancing to a whole new level for me. I had choices. A lot of them. I unfortunately did not take full advantage of my dancing opportunities. I took only 4 semesters of dance, but what a rush. It gave me a chance to learn and compete dances like cha-cha, west coast swing and samba. (The picture to the left is me before a cha-cha competition. Looking pretty slick in that little black getup.) Yes I did learn things like waltz and foxtrot, but those were too stiff and formal for the likes of me. I liked to move and interact with my partner. I loved Latin dancing. Hip gyration. Passion and fire. The works. You can't get much better than the samba. I can't stop my hips and legs from moving when a samba beat comes on. I even made it to the final round of competition out of 9 heats and hundreds of couples in my division of samba!

I really wish I could have learned contemporary and modern dancing. Those are right up there with Latin dances for watching purposes. Unfortunately I think my dancing days are over. Matt detests dancing and he can't for the life of him understand why I enjoy watching it! Plus we'd make horrible partners, him at 6'2" and me at 5'3". My luck and he'd knee me in the stomach!

So I will live out my dancing dreams through these contestants for now and probably forget about how much I love it when the show ends. Hopefully there'll be a next season!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to dance too! As far as I can tell you come from at least 5 generations of women who loved to dance. Grandma Clyde's grandmother was in her 80's when she was dancing around as a fitting way to celebrate the 4th of July. I almost married a man because we could dance so well together. Ha. What a miserable reason to get married. Even though your father and I both love to dance we are lucky to make it to a real dance two times a year. Of course we do dance in the kitchen sometimes.

Grandma Hunt said the hardest thing about going to South Africa on a mission was not being able to dance in the streets to all the good music going on all the time!

Sorry that you thought clogging was geeky. Probably the instructors had something to do with that. The oldest two girls had Jenny Ellsworth who was the epitome of being cool and they did lots of clogging with her. Too bad she moved. All those cute Ellsworth boys learned how to clog too.

Apparently I have a "kitchen dance" that is done by myself while cleaning and doing dishes. I never was aware of it until Bryan pointed it out a few years ago. So go girl go. Dance out all your fantasies in your kitchen and enjoy all the other great attributes of your wonderful husband who just happens to not like dancing!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

It wasn't that clogging itself was too geeky, but 4-H clogging was. The teacher and the class made it kind of weird. She was kind of harsh and I didn't care for clogging so much that I'd endure her. I LOVED Jenny Ellsworth! It would have been much cooler had she been teaching.

Anonymous said...

Cannon hates dancing too, so my dancing days are pretty much over. When I told him that I wanted to take a couples dance class together he said, "that sounds great, but who are you going to get for your partner?" I guess I can always wait until my 80th birthday party and do a little shimmy and Egyptian dance like Grandma Clyde did. If you've got it, flaunt it!

Anonymous said...

Aaron loves dancing but I just have to convince him to use his precious time to dance. We sometimes dance in the living room (more space than in the kitchen) Cel I love that show too. Mom watched it with me when we were on vacation and it was too provocotive for her. I agree that they are too sexy, but man they can dance. I loved the broadway dance last week. Who do you think will win? j

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

It's bad on my part, I know, but I kind of like the provacativeness in the partner interaction...that's one of the things I was trying to convey in my post. I do their clothes could have a little more fabric, but I also think that of most girls walking down the street.

Hmmm....to win? I'm not sure. I've really grown to love the couple who did the broadway piece last week. I actually voted for them. You could just tell they are really good people, he treats her so well, they're fun and they always perform amazingly.

But now that they're splitting up the couples it'll be interesting. I think the first two people to go should be Ryan and Martha. After that it will be incredibly close. I really hope that Benji wins for the guys. Did you know his parents are professional dancers and they've won World Professional Latin championship 14 times!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh yeah, and Grandma says she watches it all the time too!

Anonymous said...

you know Benji is LDS and just came home from a mission (if you watched the first episode you would have caught that because he was REALLY down because his girlfriend dear johned him on his mission.)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I KNEW IT! The whole show I've been thinking he was Mormon!! I did miss the first show.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

So I just googled him and found out that he's danced for YEARS with his COUSIN Heidi G.(another finalist on the show!!). Not only that but Heidi has also danced outside of this competition with Dmytri (another finalist!)!

Anonymous said...

I knew that he was cousins with Heidi but I didn't know that she danced with Dmytri. I don't know if she is lds. It was really funny when the annoying judge was saying why he wasn't going to be on the show and then said you made it he started crying and said that he has been down because when he returned from a two year mission for his church he got a wedding invitation for his girlfriend but it wasn't his picture. That is funny that you liked him and thought he was LDS. HAHA! J