Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Evil Gargamel will get his

We woke two days ago to find out that the smurfs decided to colonize in our back yard. Seriously, overnight we had tons of mushrooms pop up out of no where.

Our yard hadn't been mowed in about a week and a half since Matt went out of town for work last week. It was getting to the point that we were going to have to bag soon. I hate bagging. The last time we bagged the clippings from our yard we used 12! 33 gallon yard bags. We have a lot of yard.

I am one of those crazy people who actually feels good when I've mowed the lawn. I have been waffling back and forth trying to decide if I should cut back on the lawn cutting since I'm now 35 weeks pregnant. On the one hand, I have a theory that women who are too pampered and babied during pregnancy (except those who truly need special consideration) will have a harder, more traumatizing labor. So I've tried to keep active, listen to my body and modify my activity as I see fit. I've kind of felt like mowing can't be that much more stressful on me than pushing stroller with a toddler while pregnant. On the other hand, I'm 35 weeks pregnant...

I started my day yesterday with 45 min. of yoga. I then decided to mow the front lawn. 25 min. later, I felt great when I was done, so I decided to go ahead mow the monster of a back yard (including Smurf Village) that we have. (I kind of felt like Evil Gargamel as I mowed down all the mushrooms.) I have to admit that by the half way point I was feeling a bit tired. I really should have just stopped and left the rest for Matt. But instead I took a 15 min. break and went back out to finish. I felt a little tired, but not bad.

This morning I went on my normal 4 mile walk. I felt fine the whole time walking, but when I got home and stopped for a few minutes, I think my body realized what I'd put it through the last two days. It was the first time I felt like a waddling pregnant lady. The inside of my left thigh/groin area felt incredibly tender, possibly strained. I felt the repercussions of my overexertion all day. I couldn't tell if it was muscles or my bones shifting or what, but I was quite sore for the first time in ages.

I'm feeling a bit better after taking it easy this evening, and I am not quite as sore as I was right after my walk. So, I'm guessing I didn't pull anything. Just pushed myself a little over my limit.

So I've made Matt a promise (he wasn't in approval of my mowing, by the way) that I won't mow both lawns, or even the back yard, the rest of my pregnancy. The front yard, now I'll have to think about that...

7 comments:

The Drapers said...

4 mile walk? Well I always knew you were an over acheiver? Seriously? You make me sick! I just started 4 mile walks to get back in shape! I guess I will blame the delay on the c-section! Your amazing. Toward the end of my pregnancy my inner legs killed! Don't know why but it was very painful, all my Dr. had to say about it was, well I'm sure its normal. That was her answer for everything!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

A 4 mile walk would be a good challenge post c-section I would think! Good for you!!

I don't walk every day. I rotate a 45 min. yoga workout, 40-45 min. of lap swim (about 20 laps at the pool I go to), and about an hour of walking (4 miles) during the week.

Erin said...

Well, I have to agree with you on your theory of activity and labor. I ran up until 6 mos and walked everyday after that and I had a brilliant labor and delivery. Seven hours start to finish. I really believe it is most helpful with the pushing though. You need to work those muscles so they'll be ready. Nate made is appearance after pushing through just 3 contractions. I say stay busy and good for you!!

CACKEL said...

wow. i'm impressed. i think you're on the right track about staying active and fit, as long as possible. i know it makes the recovery much, much better. but on my last pregnancy, when i was three weeks away from my due date, i had a really long day on my feet and then went and did a monster speed raking project for YWs (it was surprisingly strenuous), and when i got home i literally couldn't walk up the stairs. that was when i put in for maternity leave from YWs for a few months.

CASSIE said...

YOU HAVE A HUGE YARD!! HEY--GOOD FOR YOU TO STAY ACTIVE..ITS THE ONLY THING THAT KEEPS ME SANE AND GOING THROUGHOUT THE DAY....I WALK EVERYDAY AS WELL--BUT THE DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY WE GOT GOT IN A REALLY REALLY BAD RAIN, DUST STORM THAT WAS BLOWING TREES OVER...NEEDLESS TO SAY I WAS SCARD FOR OUR LIVES...SO SPRINTING I WAS PUSHING A STOLLLER AGAINST 45 MPH WINDS...NEEDLESS TO SAY THE BISHOPS FAMILY SAVED US-- WE FINALLY GOT HOME--AND I WAS SOOO SORE THE NEXT DAY...SO I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAY YOU PUSHED IT A LITTLE TOO MUCH!

ASB said...

As you know, I know know nothing about giving birth, but I've mowed a yard or two, and THAT'S HUGE! :D

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Welcome to the new amanda who is neither Slade nor Waterman/Flake! =)

You actually can't see the whole yard in this picture. Behind me is the size of the yard that most people in this neighborhood have. Since we're on a cul-da-sac (sp?), we have almost 2 full lots. The side yard was just slightly too small to fit in another house so it was absorbed into our lot.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to put in a swimming pool since our HOA doesn't have one, but furniture and car will have to come first. We'd totally have enough room for a pool, garden, and plenty of grass left over to mow/run around on!