Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Follow up and other short stories

Acceptance has come
Last week I was freaking out at the idea of being called into Primary again. This week was a good kick off, however. It was fun. The Jr. and Sr. Primary both meet together for the summer during Sharing Time, so I get to go to all but 10 min. of Sunday School. And because singing time is first, I get to go to the last 25 min. or so of Relief Society!

The kids were great! Plus, the fact that our primary is small enough to fit into the Primary room makes a huge difference too. The smaller space was so much more conducive to good flow and fun games than the chapel was. Also, I didn't feel bad when the kids got a little noisy like I did in the chapel. I've been given tons of good ideas and resources, so I am feeling much better about it all.

The End
My temporary tax clerk job has come to an end. I stayed 4 months longer than most and 2 months longer than any temp has ever stayed. The work had really slowed down to the point that I was scraping to find things to keep me occupied the last few hours of the day. It was sad because I love the people I worked with, and it would have been nice to keep my money flow coming while I can, but it was time.

I'm currently trying to make lists of things I need/should do while I have time before the baby is here. I'm thinking I ought to get started on some family history and get into a really good daily routine that includes set times for exercise, scriptures, cleaning, blogging (yes I'll try and blog more regularly!), meal planning and prep, piano practice, quilting/scrapbooking etc. I also need to figure out things like food storage and 72 hour kits. With all the rain and flooding in nearby towns, it would be prudent to get that 72 hour kit going.

I wish it wasn't bad to paint while pregnant. Our whole house (besides the nursery) could really use paint. I guess even if I could paint, it would be hard to talk Matt into any color other than white. He likes the stark, clean, sterile look. I don't particularly care for super dark or bold colors, but a little contrast and color would be nice.

Fabulous Fourth
Our 4th of July turned out really well. We had the first totally rain free day in weeks, but it was still a little cloudy and didn't break the 80's. Perfect summer weather in my opinion. I signed up to have the missionaries over for dinner, and we ended up getting two sets! They did give me warning the night before, so that was good. Apparently we have a set of traveling missionaries that are in a different city every day helping the missionaries and doing exchanges. It was quite enjoyable to cook for more than the two of us. Hamburgers, jalapeƱo and cheddar sausages, potato salad, green salad, and cherries. And for dessert, the candy grab bag. In the words of one of our elders, "this is WAY better than brownies!" They all were really easy to visit with and they seemed like great missionaries.

Fireworks. Nothing can top fireworks on the beach near Matt's house, but this year gave us hope for good pyro times in the future. Fireworks were illegal here in McKinney (not because they're a fire hazard, but because they are "a public nuisance"). We weren't even allowed cat poppers or any sort of noise makers or fireworks within 5000 feet of city limits! The penalty here was a $2000 fine. However, there were firework stands in towns 15 min. away, and we were able to light them in county territory. Finding county territory that wasn't considered to be within any city's limits proved to be a little difficult. We drove for about an hour and ended up asking a fireman that was giving warnings to people lighting fireworks. We only spent $12 on fireworks, but we had 3 packages of Roman candles, small mortars, and artillery shells. Next year we'll probably get bigger mortars because they were so cool. It was exciting.

Garden
It's doing quite well. All except the tomatoes. They don't like all the rain and minimal sunshine we've had the past few weeks. We have eaten one radish, we have 4 bell peppers close to picking size, and we have a little zucchini growing. Other plants are coming right along, and we'll hopefully have a good productive season. I am glad we put in the fence because rabbits are a plenty in our yard. I sometimes catch them sitting there, staring at our garden from the outside. Haha wascally wabbits!


I think I'm pregnant
My belly grows day by day. I look pregnant. I can't see my feet if I'm just looking down. I will post pictures later because Matt is occupied and can't take any at the moment. I have outgrown all but one pair of pre-preg. pants, one shirt, and my two pairs of shorts. I have come to despise panel pants, and I have decided the pants with the wide stretchy band that sit below the belly are far more comfortable for me. Otherwise it's just too much fabric making my belly super hot(especially since I wear a camisole or tank under pretty much every shirt I own.

I now have to go jolking rather than jogging. I will do a light jog for 1-2 blocks and walk 1-2 blocks. I don't like to just walk because I find my mind wanders far too easily and I mosey rather than get a good brisk walk.

A couple of nights woke up with major cramps in my calves. I've found that yoga stretches help relieve them well enough. Same with my rib cage aching.

Note to self: add more calcium to your diet.


And I think the baby is a little swimmer. I'm pretty sure he's been swimming to one end, doing a flip turn, and swimming back again. Just kidding. He is moving A LOT though. I can sit there and watch my belly move all over. I can't imagine what it will be like when he's bigger and it's really crowded in there!

Well, I guess that should be it for now! I need to leave SOME things for future blog posts this week. I promise I'll try to blog more frequently.

6 comments:

Th. said...

.

Pffffft. Bad to paint when you're pregnant?

Nice green veggies, by the way. poor wittle bunnies....

Lady Steed said...

Th: exactly!
Silly If you want to paint you had better do it now, because it ain't gonna happen once the baby is here.

However, I do not know how to convince Matt that colors are OK.

Your garden looks good. Have you checked out ours?

Next year, take pics of your fireworks. I want to see these huge mortars. Matt must have loved setting those off.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Your garden is awesome. Maybe I will try the earth boxes. I do think that your soil and weather are probably better than ours for gardening. Maybe you guys just have a better green thumb than us...

I guess painting's really bad with lead paint and shouldn't be super bad with latex and water based paints. But I do remember my doctor telling me to stay away from chemical and paint fumes...Matt's taken it to heart. He figures why risk it? Plus, he doesn't care if the painting takes place since he just wants white anyway.

Lindsay said...

Isn't it awesome to feel the baby move? It's my favorite. And now that mine is on the outside, I just want to keep him close to me...I miss his kicking.

Also, for the leg cramps, try bananas. I would get those all the time. They really stink.

Anonymous said...

yes, bananas. i had cramps every single night of my first pregnancy if i didn't eat a banana during the day. sometimes it would be 5 minutes before bed and i would be scarfing one down to avoid that awful pain. it is a potassium deficiency, and i could never find a vitamin that i could tolerate, even at about 8 months. so, in short, bananas, just like lindsay said.
impressive garden, impressive belly, paint your baby's room if you want color, and just open the windows up nice and wide. also, would matt go for tan? i have LOVED our medium tan walls throughout the house with white crown moulding. i know, i know, too blah for some people's taste, but i like the continuity. maybe it could be a compromise with matt.

very nice update.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

He's not fond of the idea of tan, but I bet he'd get used to it. Sure it might be a little boring, but not so boring as white! At least it contrasts with molding and the fireplace mantel etc.

The funny thing was the first night I experienced the cramps, I'd eaten 2 bananas that day! One for breakfast and one for my evening snack! I've only had the cramps twice, and only once were they bad enough that they woke me from my sleep. Hopefully I can avoid them by taking my vitamins, drinking isagenix, and eating bananas and more calcium...