Sunday, July 01, 2007

Acceptance: svithe time

First off, I wanted to direct you to Th.'s svithe today since I found it quite good. Quite good indeed. I used to bear my testimony all the time growing up. It has petered off considerably and I quite regret that. One reason I love, love, loved teaching in Relief Society was because it made me think and really study the subject I was teaching and reinforce my testimony. For some reason I didn't feel the same way when teaching primary.

Background Info:
  • Although I was still in High School and although I loved the girls and leaders in Young Women's, I promptly "joined" Relief Society when I turned 18.
  • I have absolutely LOVED Relief Society the last 8 years.
  • I was called into the Primary as a teacher and pianist for the past year. It was ok.
  • Our wards were rearranged about a month ago and it was quite pleasing to be back in Relief Society and adult Sunday School.
A new ward brings new callings.
While I've had some callings I've been less than thrilled about, I've never cried over a calling extended to me. Until today.

Transferring into a new ward made me very hopeful that I would have a change from Primary. Now, it's not that I hated teaching Primary, I just desperately missed Relief Society and Sunday School.

I soon came to find out that this ward is in dire need of musical people. Before I moved in there were only 2 women who played the piano, and one of them had a Stake Calling (as well as being the ward chorister) so she isn't able to help out in Relief Society much.

Guessing the possible callings doesn't always pan out
When I was introducing myself at Enrichment the first week in the ward, I threw out "and I teach piano lessons" thinking, hey, free advertisement, right? The R.S. and Primary Presidents both oohed and were quick to take note of my musical skills. The next Sunday I was asked to "sub" in R.S. since they don't have a piano player called. I didn't mind one bit. I found out later that they actually haven't had anyone fill that capacity (as a calling) in over a year. She said, "every time someone new comes in that can play, the Primary is quick to take them." Knowing that there were already music people established in Primary, I was very hopeful that I would obtain the R.S. pianist calling. I did not mind one bit, just so long as I could stay in Relief Society.

This week I got that "Sunday morning call" asking me to come in a little early so they could extend a possible calling. I still thought a music calling was very likely, however, I was not prepared for what he extended.

"The Young Women's Presidency is in the process of being rearranged," yes! I thought. I can handle Young Women's...at least it's not Primary. "and we ended up taking the Primary chorister to be one of the new counselors." No...not Primary....ahhhhhh!!!! "So we want to extend the Primary chorister calling to you." I found myself responding, "Ok. Sure. That should be fine. That's where I'm needed." Primary...primary...great.

Then he proceeded to tell me how much he wished he could be in primary, blah, blah blah. I shook his hand and left.

Acceptance does not always mean acceptance.
We sat down and waited for church to start. And then the water works started. I tried to go collect myself in the restroom. I know it's fast Sunday, but testimony meeting hadn't even started yet, so it looked a bit odd for me to be sitting there before church crying. Just as I thought I pulled myself together I left the restroom and had to pass by another ward's primary just as they were singing. It made me start crying all over again.

So I went back to my seat and fanned myself and tried to stop the tears. I cried off and on all through the rest of the meeting. I was peachy enough during Sunday School and Relief Society. But as I was leaving, the R.S. secretary stopped me and asked if I was ok since she'd seen me crying in Sacrament meeting. And I started blubbering and bawling again. "I just can't get over being put back in Primary. I wanted to be in Relief Society so much!"

Matt was being set apart for his calling (Elder Quorum Presidency's second counselor) and had some meetings, so I was just standing there in the hall waiting for that to be over. People kept giving me strange looks and I got a couple of, "are you ok?s". I had just about composed myself again when the R.S. Pres. asked me that question, and there I went again. Crying all over the place. I felt like a blubbering idiot and just hoped that people would just attribute it to my pregnancy hormones. I was still crying off and on about an hour after we got home.

I'm done crying, now, I think. I still have to figure out how to accept the calling in my heart and mind though.

Quasi-Epilogue
That nice R.S. counselor came over tonight with a plate of cookies and her husband. They visited with me for a very pleasant 45 min. (Matt was at an EQ meeting already.) It was very welcomed. Just another reason I love the Relief Society.

10 comments:

nanci said...

Oh yes, I understand this. I actually really liked being in Primary in Arizona, but when we got called right in in this ward, I felt a bit doomed... a bit cut off from the world. I just sat in class today watching Clint teach thinking... we just aren't good at this.
So I feel your pain.

FoxyJ said...

I know you're pregnant and hormonal, but if you are having a hard time accepting it you could go back and talk to the bishop a little bit, just so they know what's going on. Do they know you're having a baby in a few months? That can be a tough calling to do when you've got a new baby (of course, if you're in a ward where everyone has babies, you're probably doomed). Just a thought. Sometimes it just isn't the right time for a calling...

Th. said...

.

You know, some people just make better grownups.

Juls said...

I guess I don't make a good grown up because I LOVE primary music! I think it is the most fun calling you could have. It is also the hardest and most important calling in primary but yet most fulfilling. Do you remember any of your lessons? Yet how many songs do you remember. There are so many kids that are only touched through music!

I do feel your pain though because I was in Primary for 7 years before I made it to RS. I do love it here...one day...one day!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Nanci and Juls kind of make my mental point of "once they snag you they won't let you go." Seven! years. That is a looooong time. And it seems like that's how it always works with Primary.

Foxyj, I considered it, but for now I think I really just need to buck up and do it. It shouldn't be that bad and I may even have fun. Once I have the baby I may have to talk to them if I don't get released. I guess I could always lead with the baby strapped to me in a pack or sling, right?

And Th., I think you're right. I always felt like a little adult. Even when I was in 5th grade.

I'm also a little worried that I'll feel even more adult deprived when my job ends and I don't see other adults on a daily basis. I guess we'll just see how it goes.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Well, I got a nicely laid out book from a lady in my ward that has a lot of visual aids and wands and things. I'm feeling a bit better about this calling. I'll be happy with it shortly I'm sure. It has a lot of "fun" potential (just so long as I have a good attitude).

Anonymous said...

Just as I was reading this I got a call to sub as a teacher in Primary next Sunday.

Last Sunday I was the Jr. Chorister. The Sunday before I was the Sr. Chorister. At least 3 times a month I am in Primary doing something.

I love it because all the kids in the ward know me and I pretty much know their names. They all give me the "Hi, teacher" smile as I walk by.

You gotta love that.

My guess is by the time you have the baby, and if it doesn't work out that you get to keep this calling, that you will be sad to say goodbye to the kids.

Your last class was more challenging than most! I promise most Primary callings are better than that.

I'm proud of you for bucking up and doing it!

Juls said...

Life is hard, but we can do hard things!

Anonymous said...

yes, it is your best chance at getting to be a "game show hostess." singing time is one of the best chances to make primary really fun and make kids glad that they are there.

i saw a cute idea when i visited our primary. when they were transitioning from jr. to sr. primary, the kids who were there (waiting for the rest of the classes to come) got to play a fun game. the chorister made little shadow people in different poses(one leg up, one arm down) etc. most were really basic, but some were a little complicated. the kids mimicked the pose (silently of course) until all of the kids got there. the kids loved it so much.
good luck amanda

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

I don't know why it's so hard sometimes to accept certain callings. I had a really hard time when I was first called to be a RS teacher. It's not that I don't like the RS--and in a singles branch, there's no choice--it's just that I felt totally inadequate. Besides, I'm always one of those awful people who sits in the back and doodles. I've finally gotten to where I'm okay with it. Good thing, since I've had the calling for 2 years.

I don't know, but sometimes I think these things are just challenges that we have to get over. I realize now that through the lessons I've taught I've learned a great deal about myself and about the atonement/grace--something that's explicitly promised to me in my patriarchal blessing. So there's that too...