Monday, July 16, 2007

Sometimes indecision is the decision

I like to find deals. I tend not to buy anything because I rarely find things I consider to be a good enough deal. You'd almost think that I was born 100 years ago by how much I think one should pay for items.

I have recently been looking on Craigslist for a good glider-rocker deal. I haven't truly convinced myself that I neeed it, but if I can find one for a smoking deal, I figure, why not?

The other day I found one just a few miles from my house for $70 (for the glider and ottoman). It originally cost over $200, and it was in good condition. But when I sat on it, I wasn't super impressed. I mean, it was ok, but not GREAT. Should I pay $70 for something I'm not totally sold on? I wasn't sure. I went and go the cash and mulled around most of the day before calling him back. I was going to ask to drop by and sit in it once again to make my decision there, but when I called him, someone had just picked it up 5 minutes before.

Well. That was an easy decision. My indecision decided for me.

I found a couple of sofas or sofa/love seats for reasonable prices that were nice and a style and color I liked. I would have gone and gotten them in an instant. But Matt's not ready to shell out money for furniture. And he's a little hesitant to get second hand furniture to upgrade from the second hand furniture we already have. So we'll continue to use our 70's orange floral couch for now...

8 comments:

Jessica Baird said...

This glider post reminded me of another baby item that I don't have, but hope to get before our second. Maybe someone has already mentioned this, but its a nursing cover (there are many names, peek-a-boob, hooter hiders, etc. you can google nursing cover and get a good idea of what's out there) but they seem like they would make nursing publicly so much easier. It ties around your neck so baby can't pull the blanket off, you have two hands to feed baby with, etc. and there is a bowed out section at the neck which makes it so you and baby can always see each other and no one else can. I think it would be great! Like your post said, I also have a hard time paying the expected price for things like this, so I'm trying to figure out how to make one. If you figure it out, let me know. Someone suggested using boning for the bowed out section and I still need to look into that more.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Interesting. I'll look around and see what I can find. They don't look that intricate. I bet you could figure it out. Maybe I will buy a couple $1/yard yards of fabric and see if I can make something functional.

Lindsay said...

Oh, I am just like this! I have the hardest time buying stuff because it's just not cheap enough for me. But I have to say -- with a baby on the way, you will definitely want a rocking chair of some sort. They are life savers, I'm quickly learning. Good luck finding your deals!

Sarah said...

You know my advice - BUY BUY BUY! Yes, I'm a sicko when it comes to Craigslist. I always just buy first, ask questions later. Worst case scenario I just re-list the item on Craigslist when/if I find one that I like better.

I've had a few very sad cases when I called too late. Those items will haunt me forever...

Juls said...

I am TOTALLY like you. By the time I convince myself that I want it...the time has passed and it is just too late! I saw some one in my friends ward using one of those things that Jessica refrenced to..I will ask her if there is a pattern or to send you one to see how to do it. (it is julia darley)

too bad you don't live closer or I would give you mine!

Anonymous said...

yes, i have a few items that i waited on that are gone forever. twice i knew that i really wanted something but couldn't get right over to pay, and the next day they were gone. craigslist is painful sometimes.
but yes, get a rocker. i have used my rocking chair for endless hours with all of my babies. they are good for rocking infants, reading to toddlers, rocking and singing lullabies to kids of all ages. i have loved mine so much.

Anonymous said...

by the way, peek-a-boob, hooter hiders? honestly, were these items named by prostitutes or something?

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

hahahahaha. Amanda. Hahahaha.