Wednesday, January 31, 2007

So, can you?

"No" is one of the easiest words to say. Ask almost any two-year-old a question and it will be their response 9 out of 10 times, even if it your question is not the "yes or no" type. So why is it so hard for me to say it?

Can you teach my kid piano lessons?
uh, I really don't have time since I have an 8-5 job, a husband, a church calling, and current piano students, but I guess I can. (Doh! I'm up to 6 --or is it 8-- students now who I've committed to teaching. I have another who wants me to teach, though I really, really don't want to teach because of weird family dynamics and a really young student. I'm avoiding calling her back. Is it bad to screen phone calls?)
Can we reschedule this week's lesson?
sure. even though we've rescheduled every lesson this month for you. but what they heck?
Can you babysit this Saturday? Oh, it will be for my daughter and her friend, is that ok?
what time did you say? all afternoon? though i haven't seen my husband all week since he was traveling, and though this was going to be my first Saturday this month I wouldn't have to work at my job, that should be fine.
Can you work this Saturday [stay late/come early]?
yep. even if i have to copy for 5 hours straight, i'll do it just for you.
Can you play the piano for Primary/ New Beginnings/ my son's elementary Tuba competition/ It's Great to be 8?
I haven't said no to anyone yet. Why should I start now?
Don't get me wrong. I usually don't mind doing these things once I get past the dread or anticipation and actually do them; sometimes I really enjoy myself. And I do prefer being busy to sitting around by myself trying to come up with projects to make myself feel productive, but sometimes I wonder if I should put my foot down and say, "no" when it starts feeling a bit much. Is that bad?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to have that problem until I just felt runover and used. Ask Matt if you can use him as an out...can you babysit for me Sat? You know I have a date with my husband that day. Can you take one more student. you know I would love to but my schedule is just too full. I will call you when I have an open spot OR I know a person who is looking for more students. Can you play for primary? You know my husband needs me for...this time you will have to get a little creative. You will soon get good at saying no :)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Thanks J. I need to get past feeling bad about "leaving people in a bind". Calling me last minute is their problem, not mine. I don't have to always bail people out of their lack of preparation.

Sometimes it's good to say yes. Sometimes it's good to say no. I just need figure out when to do what and how to do it gracefully.