Monday, January 15, 2007

The long and the short of it

Beginning in the fourth grade I had an intense desire for short hair. At the time my hair was mid back and a pain in the neck. I begged and begged my mom to cut my hair to my shoulders that year but to no avail. Finally in the 5th grade I wore her down, and we cut and permed my hair. (I didn't have naturally curly hair until I hit puberty.)

Short hair was everything I desired. It was quick, it was cute, and it was easy. What more could a girl want? The older I got, the shorter I wanted to go. While I lived at home my mom kept talking me out of cutting it any shorter than my shoulders. In an act of independence, while I was on a 3 week trip to Boston at age 14, I had my sister-in-law cut and dye my hair without telling my mom. My mom was not prepared for the short haired, red-head that stepped off the plane.

Home again, I let my hair grow back out to my shoulders, though I continued to ask my stylist (my mom) to go shorter. "But it's SO CUTE this length! You don't REALLY want to cut it."

I felt quite the adult when I walked into a salon at college, looked at a cute Meg Ryan cut and said, "That's what I want!" I went from shoulder length to super short bob in about an hour. At the end the stylist asked, "Are you so sad to see your hair on the floor? Most people are." "No way!" I replied. "I've been waiting my whole life for this!"

I haven't cut my hair since my birthday last April. It's getting quite long for me and I've wanted to chop it more than once. I kind of want to let it grow until I can't stand it so it will be a dramatic change. I love shocking people.

To celebrate my new scanner (thanks Brasfields!) I thought I'd show the hair progression throughout the years. I want your feedback. What was your favorite length in my 25 years of life? I'm interested.












10 comments:

Lindsay said...

I, too, am a short hair girl. I have the wrong shaped face for long hair, and not enough patience for it either.

I think you do well with the chin length styles -- though your "Meg Ryan" cuts, in their various stages of growth, are pretty cute, too.

~yoga~ said...

I love your pictures! It is fun to see you in the various stages of life.

I like the chin length styles. They flatter your sweet smile! That I miss * sniff * sniff--

LOVE YA

Anonymous said...

Becca liked the Egyptian style and when you were a baby. Haha. I like what you have now...although the one where you are at my house brings back many memories! I am going to go for a chin length style as soon as I can get someone to watch the kids! I will send you a picture when I get it cut! J

Anonymous said...

oh have you lost weight? Your face looks thinner (not that you were ever fat) but you look great.

AmyJane said...

I really like the short Meg Ryan styles on you. It was quite the rage when we were first in college (I'm about the same age as you) but not everyone looked as good with that cut as you do in the pics.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Thanks for the review. After looking at the pictures, Matt's favorite is the length is the short Meg Ryan length right next to the eqyptian. I think that's my favorite too, though I think the chin length isn't bad either. The no bangs pulled straight back is HORRIBLE and I should be flogged for ever thinking it was acceptable.

Jenny said...

I like the haircut with the pink shirt on. A lot. I think I am going to print it off and take it in when I get my hair cut.

Lady Steed said...

Wow! Your hair is long. I like it short, it suits you better.

Theric says "Short hair becomes you Silly Marie."

Anonymous said...

Wow, your long hair looks great, but I do have to say that I like the chin length and shorter styles better.

Luckily Matt is supportive of your short hair preference. Cannon's motto is, "Never, Never, Never, cut your hair." I say, "But what if it makes me look like a shaggy dog?" and he says, "Never, Never......" You get the picture. We both like the new straight hair though.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I don't know what I'd do if he weren't supportive of my short hair. I can only take so much hair! But he knew what he was getting into when he met me. I had the short Meg Ryan style when we first started dating and it was about chin length when he got home from his mission.