Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Blacklisted

Dear Quilter's Asylum,

I am at a point in life where I have about 5-10 friends pregnant at any given time, so I took up quilting two years ago to create unique baby gifts. I was very sad to leave my beloved Cotton Shop behind in UT when we moved. Soon after arriving in Texas I was happy to learn there was a fabric store in town. Not only was it a fabric store, but a quilting specialty shop! I was very excited to browse the store and find new things for my quilts.

I am sad to say my excitement was short lived. For a shop specializing in quilts you really do not have much "special." I have been in 3 times looking for what I thought were staples to a quilt shop. You have failed three times to produce what I need. Not only that, your employees were anything but helpful.

When I ask a simple question I expect a direct answer to that question, even if the answer is, "I don't know." I do not expect annoyed answers to questions I did not ask. Moreover, the answer "If you want to know that you'll have to take one of our classes" is totally lame.

You are now blacklisted in my book. I take ebay over you. I'm sorry it has come to this.

--A disappointed quilter

P.S. Your prices are outrageous!
--------------------------------------------------------

Dear Cotton Shop,

I miss you dearly. You always had helpful employees and great sales tables. You had what I needed, and on the off chance you didn't, you told me where I could find it. I wish I could have brought you with me when I moved. Thanks a million. I'll remember the good times.

--A customer estranged by way of proximity

8 comments:

Th. said...

.

Is Quilters' Asylum the real name of the place?

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Yes. It is.

Lindsay said...

I wish Muncie had a quilt shop. My options consist of the fabric section of Walmart, the fabric section of Hobby Lobby, and a half-size Joann Fabrics (which, though small and often full of unhelpful employees, is my best option). Needless to say, after all is said and done and I've driven all over town looking for a decent piece of fabric to make pillow shams for my bed, this town has surprisingly little to offer. I feel your pain.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Believe me lindsay, you're much better of with those stores than this quilt shop. I wish our Hobby Lobby and Joann's were closer (they're about 20-40 min. away).

Lady Steed said...

The name Quilters' asylum should have tipped you off that nothing good would come out of it.

Also, I didn't know you quilted!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

It was something I picked up after you guys left.

A girl in my last ward was an avid baby quilt quilter. She made this awesome quilt for a gift at a baby shower I attended. I started pumping her for information on how to quilt. She let me borrow her quilting frame and gave me a little "how to" session. I enjoyed it so much I went out and bought my own frame (the one pictured).

I have only hand quilted panels like the one pictured (that's my current project). I haven't gotten into patchwork quilting yet, though I checked out a book at the library and found some things I like that I might try. I also wouldn't mind trying to machine quilt sometime, but that will be down the road since I just purchased fabric off ebay to hand quilt.

Sarah said...

"If you want to know that you'll have to take one of our classes"

Really? At what point is it legal to strangulate people?

On a different note - that quilt in the picture is darling!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I FOUND A NEW QUILT SHOP!!! It's in Historic McKinney and they just opened 2 months ago. I went there today on my lunch break and they were very nice, very helpful, and they had what I needed. I'm happy.