Sunday, January 14, 2007

Cancelled

Church was cancelled today. Cancelled. I think this is the first time I've ever had church cancelled due to inclement weather. Did a huge blizzard blow in? Did a tornado hit? No my friends. It is raining. RAINING! It's been raining for about 3 days now and people are going nuts. On the news we saw people at the grocery stores stocking up on food and candles. Costco was the busiest I've ever seen yesterday.

You see, people here are super afraid of what is called freezing rain. This was not a form of precipitation I was aware of until moving here. According to wikipedia, it "begins as snow, falling from a cloud toward earth, and melts completely on its way down through a layer of warm (above freezing) air before supercooling in a small layer of cold air just before it impacts the surface...the water [then] freezes upon impact [forming ice] which can accumulate to the thickness of several centimeters." Three of the biggest problems caused by freezing rain are: slippery roads (and drivers who have no CLUE how to drive on slippery roads), downed powerlines and power outages because of the heaviness of the ice, and tree limbs fallings from the weight.

So far it has just been a lot of (much needed) regular rain. I don't know if they cancelled other wards or if ours was cancelled because it's dark when we get out of church and the likelihood of the roads being icy is greater.

It just is so odd to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know when we lived in VA the first time they canceled school for freezing rain I thouhgt WHAT for RAIN! But I had something to do that morning so out I went...bad mistake! I slipped twice before making it to my car (and I was walking carefully) and then as I was driving my windshild wipers wouldn't work because the windshield kept freezing over! I think I did make it to my appointment but when I got there the office was closed due to freezing rain! Oh man...after that I never went out in freezing rain again! Good luck.

Sarah said...

Here in CA people don't even leave the house when it rains. Hey - it's only 7 days out of the year - we want something to get hysterical about!