Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The skinny on the skinnies (and not so)

According to about.com, "statistics indicate that a full 90% of us have such good intentions [dieting or eating healthier] for the new year."

Now, since they don't reference any study, its hard to say if that statistic has any validity. But it sounds good, so I'm going to run with it.

I tried and failed to find a statistic on how many people actually follow through with those resolutions. I would imagine that it's probably around 5%. You can reference me on that statistic. Since it's so empirical.

You know, every body is different, so I'll try and include something for everyone:

First, I will start with the "starve yourself diet"
  • pros: nice on your wallet--can't find anything cheaper
  • cons: it has deathly side effects

Second, we have the " spam, spam, spam and spam baked beans and spam diet"
  • pros: you always know what's on the menu. long shelf life. you'll be prepped and ready for Hawaiian cuisine.
  • cons: what is spam, really?
Third, there is the "pickles and ice cream diet"
  • pros: it'll give you some common ground with all your pregnant friends. 6 and counting right now.
  • cons: are there any disadvantages? i think not.
Fourth, the "see food diet"
  • pros: you can eat whatever you see. you can satisfy any craving while still sticking to your "diet"
  • cons: unfortunately, you do not get your omega 3's with this kind of see food
And finally for this list, the "no carb, no sugar, no fat, no calories diet"
  • pros: you can eat all the celery you want
  • cons: you can eat all the celery you want
So, I hope you found something that fits your lifestyle.

In all reality, I'm one of the 90% who are vowing to be overall-healthy- this year. However, I am pretty anti-diet for myself. I say live a healthy balanced life (dairy, fruits, veggies, some sweets here and there, protein, grains) and nobody gets hurt.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Hmmm...I'm going to have to sign up for the pickles and ice cream diet. Except can I substitute cupcakes and wheat thins for the pickles and ice cream? And this diet really could safely be combined with the "see food" diet. And I read somewhere that by adding the spam diet in after the hours of 11pm helps up the metabolism...

As you can see, I'm not one of the 90%.

Anonymous said...

That was one of my resolutions this year, although living in Hershey I would have to say I have to keep my chocolate!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I really think it would be interesting to have someone do a thesis on resolutions, goal setting and how many people actually make a concerted effort to keep them. Maybe if I ever go back for a PhD I'll do that.

I've ever only known one person who set a specific goal and very consciously kept it.

My roommate and a friend vowed not to each chocolate in any form for 5 months because they were self proclaimed choco-holics. The friend lasted a whole 3 DAYS! Emily, my roommate, made it 6 YEARS last I checked!!!!

And Sarah, you can substitute those and combine any diets you choose. I will still be your friend.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I meant, set a "New Year's resolution" goal and kept it. I've known many people, including my parents, who are avid goal setters.

Lady Steed said...

You forgot to mention that you run like...five miles everyday! Of course you're healthy!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Like my kids say...No fat, No sugar, No fun!!!

I have found by watching portion sizes, like eating off a smaller plate helps ALOT. Easier said than
done of course! And we know you run way lots!!! Who are you kidding? You are a healthy girl!!!

Love ya!!! samnamy

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Ah yes. the whole running thing. I hate to admit it, but since I started working for the county i've had a much harder time running since it's dark before I get ready for work and dark when I get home. And I really, really need new running shoes.

I have recently started doing yoga again with a video at home. My personal yoga practices were slacking because I couldn't stay focused by myself.

So I am resolving to do better in this aspect.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. You forgot the Isagenix life-style diet. Not really a diet, of course, but we have helped people drop a total of over 4000 pounds! quite a lifestyle!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

But mom, that's just too sensible!

Bust speaking of which, I do recommend isagenix shakes for anyone who needs a quick, healthy breakfast. I always feel better when I have them. For more info, visit my mom's link on the sidebar of my homepage.