Monday, November 06, 2006

The Truth and Nothing but the Truth: A Political Confession

I am a very bad citizen. And a bad girl.

You see, I've never voted in my life. Never. That is why I'm a bad citizen. I was in UT during the last two Presidential Elections. I was living in the Riviera, age 19, during the 2000 Elections. I didn't know much about either candidates (pretty much just knew their names) and I didn't take the time to learn about them. I want to say I didn't vote for that reason, but it's not so. I just didn't care. It makes me very squirmish to admit all of this.

I was married, age 23, during the last election. I am a bad girl because I told my family that I voted two years ago during the Bush/Kerry hoedown. I wasn't even registered in UT. I lied because I wanted to lend my support to my siblings with whom I shared a similar opinion. I would have voted for Bush if I had taken the time. I thought Kerry was a moron. I still do. And I think Bush is too, but at the time I felt he was a better candidate. I don't think Kerry would have done a better job than Bush, in all honesty, so I probably still would have voted Bush knowing what I know today. Or maybe I wouldn't have voted at all.

Oh wait. That's what I did.

Anyway, my family was split down the middle. Half voted for Bush, half voted for Kerry. I wanted to add my two cents to the family debate and I felt I couldn't unless I had voted. So I lied. My husband voted via an absentee ballot for CA, and we discussed the election all the time, so I was hoping that counted for something. He didn't even know that I didn't vote until tonight. The truth is coming out here and now.

I rarely talk politics on my blog. This will be the first time, in fact. I don't do so often because if any of you were to ever challenge my opinion, I don't know if I'd be able to back everything up. I've always had this problem. The "because that's just the way it is" syndrome. That's why I never did debate. Oh, I had the passion that debate required, but I couldn't form true arguments well. People would talk me in circles; I'd often still believe I was right; I couldn't ever explain why I was right. It was quite frustrating.

Nevertheless, I'm still a "Republican". Whatever that means. I kind of wish we could do away with the whole Republican/Democrat dichotomy. I believe in education. I believe in the right to own guns. I believe some forms of stem cell research should be pursued. I kind of feel like I'm in the middle on a lot of issues. Actually according to The Politics Test, I'm a Centrist sitting on the left shoulder of Ronald Reagan.

You are a

Social Moderate
(43% permissive)

and an...

Economic Conservative
(61% permissive)

You are best described as a:

Centrist










Link: The Politics Test on Ok Cupid
Also: The OkCupid Dating Persona Test


This test aside, I would classify myself as a moderate conservative who has become disillusioned with politics. I am suspicious of all politicians regardless of party. I feel little to no obligation to actually vote Republican.

Lately I have felt a strong obligation to begin casting my vote. I feel I should vote for the most reasonable (in my opinion) candidate possible, regardless of political orientation. It just so happens that for me, the most reasonable candidate is Republican more often than not. But I have to say, I don't feel comfortable voting without knowing something about the candidates. I can't just go in and vote Republican because "that's what I am." There are a lot of sleazy Republicans running for office, and I would feel bad helping them out just because we share the same party.

So my resolution is to become a better citizen and to become a better girl. Tomorrow I will cast my vote if everything goes well. At least I'm registered. And today I've confessed my political lies. I hope you'll all forgive me. Let's move forward shall we?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if this will help, but I am going to vote by absentee ballot at my kitchen table, with the little pamphlet that I got in the mail with all of the candidates platform statements. It at least gives me an idea of the basic things that they stand for. I agree. No voting for a Republican just because he or she is Republican.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I know it's too late for this election, but how do you even request an absentee ballot?

Sarah said...

Hi Silly - I didn't vote until George W got into the picture and then it was almost impossible for me NOT to. Once you find yourself emotionally envolved with a debate or vote, voting gets pretty fun.

It's really hard to know if you have "all the information" and almost nobody does. It's a little scary to think of a whole uninformed nation making the decisions on voting day, but by large that's what happens. Don't feel bad jumping into the confused mix! Good luck today :)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Done and done. Well, I voted. There were a few positions on the ballot I wasn't aware of so I just left those blank. But at least I voted for the most important positions...

Anonymous said...

I have no idea how to request an absentee ballot. When I registered to vote (along with getting my driver's license) they asked if I wanted to do absentee ballots permanently. With little kids underfoot I said yes without hesitation.

Th. said...

.

Did you get a sweet sticker to wear on your lapel?

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

NO! I didn't get one! They didn't even offer me one. I was ripped off.