Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The anti-Librarian

Ok. I'm not against librarians. I love them. I love libraries. I love books. I love reading.

I just couldn't ever be one. Librarian that is.

I don't know if I could be that quite the rest of my career.

I don't mind trying to be mindful of those around me. I actually despised loud cell-phone talkers at the BYU library. I even debated against it in a Spanish conversation class once.

I understand there is a time and a place for peace and quite. I'd just hate to be in that time and place 40 hours a week. I think I'd drive myself crazy with imaginary conversations I want to have with people but from which I refrain because I am too [conscious, timid, aware].

You know, the kind where you tell your boss why its his and not your priorities that are messed up.

Those kind.

Yes. It is a good thing that is not in my potential jobs list at the moment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny because I thought that would be a great job one day. I think I would enjoy it, but I am not sure I would love it...I guess I will just have to cross that road when it comes. So about your boss...did he tell you your priorities were off? have a great non librarian day!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Well, yes and no. They know I'm applying elsewhere and that I have an interview with the county. So I was prepping myself for some possible interview questions. One of them was "What would your previous boss say you need to work on most?"

So I asked him. I went back and forth as to whether or not I really wanted him to tell me. Truth is I wanted to know but it was a little unsettling that he had an immediate answer. I like to think that I'm perfect in everyway since I really do try my very hardest to do what I think needs to be done.

Anyway. I finally consented to hearing his feedback and he had two things he and his wife were concerned about with me.

1. He thinks I don't prioritize well. Which is funny because I'd say the same thing about them. In all honesty it's just a matter of opinion of what is most important, so I shouldn't be too bugged. Matt said I shouldn't be surprised since I think their business should be run a little differently than it is. And I do. I get everything done that they ask of me, apparently just in a different order.

2. I take things too personally and I am too self-depreciating. Which is true. If something goes wrong or if employees get fired I feel like I am ruining people's lives. I often take the emotional blame or responsibility for things that are out of my control. I agree with that.

Anonymous said...

Or you could come work at our library where loud talking and shouting is the norm. I don't think the good people who patron the Kennedy Library even know how to whisper. :)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Ha. That's funny Lindsay.