Saturday, November 11, 2006

Ramblings: HELP ME!

OR

OK people. I need your help. Here is my dilemma. I have been looking for new employment, preferably something full-time. This is what I've been up against the last few weeks, and I'm guessing this is why I'm sick at the moment. (It sounds like I've been hacking up a lung all day. I have a headache from this. I've also been very congested and my ears have soooo much pressure it's driving me crazy!)
  • About a month ago my friend told me about an on-call secretarial position for the county. I thought it might be able to work with my other part time job and would allow for some flexibility. So I applied for it without really thinking much of it.
  • About two weeks ago, I randomly found a family on craig's list looking for a nanny. For some unknown reason, I decided to call them. They sounded nice, the hours sounded good, and they asked to meet me in person two weeks later (which just so happened to be today). I felt pretty good about that situation.
  • Not long after talking with the nanny needing family, I heard from the county. They wanted me to come interview for the on-call secretary position.
  • I went in for the interview and found out it was not an on-call position; rather, it was a temporary tax helper position lasting from mid-November to late February. Not what I was looking for, but more hours and more money than I'm currently getting, so it was an interesting possibility. ($10/hr, no benefits, 40 hours a week). They offered me that on the spot.
  • At the end of that interview, the county lady told me she wanted me to also apply for a newly available position as an HR assistant ($30,000/year, benefits and PTO, 40 hrs/wk 8AM-5PM). It required a college degree (which I have), a physical (which I endured), a 3 1/2 hour test (which I took), and a second interview with the assistant HR Director (held two days ago). While I thought this position was going to close mid-November, I found out I would not know until mid to late December if I had the HR assistant job.
  • That means that they want me to start at the temporary tax position this month and work there until I hear about the other position.
  • That brings me now to the nanny position. I met with the mom-to-be today. I went thinking I was going to turn it down, but I wanted to keep my options open until I met them. She seems incredibly nice, they live in what I consider a mansion, and she and her husband are very, very established in their careers. She's due Nov. 22nd and would want me to start part time in December and go to full time Jan. 2nd. when she goes back to work. 40 hours/week, $10/hour, one little brand new baby girl name Gigi. She absolutely loves me. She told me I was a God send. It felt much more comfortable and good than I was expecting. That made this a whole lot harder.
This is where I'm stuck. You see, the two jobs I have for sure are the nanny position and the temporary tax position. Between those two I'd take the nanny position hands down. It's more stable, same pay, same hours, and I'd have a lot less stress and more flexibility. But throw in the unknown HR assistant position and I don't know what I should do. Say no to the nanny thing in hopes that I get it? I mean, it is $10,000 more per year. IF I get it. Say yes to the nanny thing and not look back?

Here's another little wrench in the mix. They were hoping to just pay me "under the table" for sake of ease. I completely understand and I don't feel like they're dishonest people. It sounded very nice at first. But then when I talked to Matt about it, that seems like a bad situation to be in. If we were to ever get audited, we'd be screwed. How can you explain away $20,000 extra income? Plus, it's not quite honest, so in my temple recommend interview when they asked if I am honest in all my dealings, I don't think I could say yes. And that's not good.

So that brings me to the question of filing as self-employed so as not to create difficulty for the family. But I don't really know what that entails. I wouldn't have anything I could deduct except maybe a cell-phone and transportation to work. I estimated that I'd be paying about $122 every paycheck for taxes. That means I would only end up making a little over $16,000 net. for the year. Nothing for a part-time employed person like me to scoff at. That's about what I made working at New Haven when I was the primary income in our family. Yet it's still a lot lower than the HR job. IF I were to get the HR job.

I'm not sure which one I'd enjoy more. I imagine the nanny position. The HR one seems a bit boring and potentially a lot more stressful, but it could provide some great secretarial experience for a resume. But I'm not thinking I'll be working outside the home the rest of my life, so what does it matter if I have it on my resume?? I am a little afraid I'll end up being a basket case from stress, but I won't know until I try, right?

I'm guessing the first few months of nannying will not be all that exciting either, though. It would, however, give me good life experience and hopefully help me be a better mom when I get that chance. I feel like I'd be more in my element with this job than with the secretarial stuff.

This is where you come in dear friends. Help me. What would you do in this situation? Any answers about taxes for me? Any thoughts? Gut reactions?

12 comments:

Mizike said...

Your tax bill will be higher than you immediately expect. Both your employer and yourself pay a portion of your personal income tax. They owe a portion, and you owe a portion. If you are an independent contractor, you will pay both portions. Expect to put aside from 3 to 4 out of every 10 dollars for taxes.

Sarah said...

I wouldn't do the nanny thing. I think you are underestimating the amount of work it would be and for that salary, it doesn't sound worth it to me.

I think at this point you have to think about WHY you are looking for a job (the money I assume, not to hone your mothering skills) and just bite the bullet and go for it at county. It sounds like they are really into you there and this other job is a serious possibility. You'll be kicking yourself when you're making $16K instead of $30K and are still stressing over raising someone else's kid to their specifications.

It's not the fun answer, but I think it's more practical. Plus you would probably get benefits at county and wouldn't hvae to worry about an employer who really would rather not report you to the gov.

my two cents.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Mizike, I'm sure you're right. I tried to find a self-employement tax calculator, but those things aren't always accurate.

Sarah, I'm sure I'm underestimating the amount of work. However, it's not like I'd be doing the same things every other new mom does. I won't be cooking. I won't be cleaning (they have a house cleaner). I won't have sleepless nights having to get up with the baby. I'll be playing, holding, soothing, feeding, and changing diapers.

Matt's biggest fear with me working this is that I'll get too emotionally involved, like always. I can see it already because she wants me so badly. I don't want to let them down.

The thing with the county is that I really don't know how in to me they really are. The second interview was kind of weird. The lady was very hard to read and didn't seem to connect with the answers I gave. I don't know how much confidence I have in the HR.

On a side note: I hate the word verification when it strings v and W together. I can't tell which comes first since they're connected.

Anonymous said...

I also vote for the county job. I know you've got everything you need to be a mom right now and you don't need to practice on someone else's child. My opinion isn't so much against the nanny job as it is for doing the office job which in the long term would open up a lot more doors for you. Maybe I feel that way because I've felt like I needed to go back to school and get something more that would allow me more options if I ever need them. Anyway, the office job would give you more experience, you have the potential for the HR job, but even if you don't get it, you would still do great at the first one and I would think it would be the least stressful of the three job options. I think you'll be happier there and you'll have more to show for it when you're done working there. That's why I vote for the county.

FoxyJ said...

I can understand the reasons why people prefer to pay nannies and domestic help under the table, but I still wouldn't do it. There are a lot of legal and ethical reasons that I think you already mentioned. Let them know that's why you aren't taking the job, and see what they do. If they want you that badly, they'll be willing to pay legally you for it. I would lean towards the other job opportunity for that reason alone.

Lady Steed said...

I concur with everything everyone else has said.

Now here are my thoughts.

I know the Nanny job sounds like more fun but I don't think it will be and I think it could be less stable than the county job.

Why?

I am guessing this is their first child, and though they may both be 'really into' their careers that does not mean that having a baby won't cause them to reprioritize. Personally, I don't understand moms who have a baby then go right back to work leaving someone else to raise the child. Why do people have kids if their not going to raise them and enjoy them? After a month or two of leaving her sweet baby with you all day to go to her career, she might decide that raising her baby is actually more important than her career. Or she might not. But that's my point about it being unstable.

Surely these people could live on one income. So if you take the nanny job and then they realize that maybe they don't want someone else raising their child, that leaves you out of a job again. Plus, they should be paying the taxes and stuff, I'm sure they can afford an accountant.

Good luck!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

This is their first child together. They both have children from other marriages. She has a 9 year old that she has partial custody of and he has two children, both close to my age.

Lets see, though. I've appreciated hearing everyone's thoughts on this. I'm still open to hearing from more if there are more with opinions on this.

My mom just made a very good point on the phone. She's worried it would be like raising my own child and having to give up the child when I have to stop working for them. Feeling like you abandon your child. Good point. Especially knowing my personality leans to that.

Th. said...

.

I see a lot of nannies at the park. They all seem to look like Kate Winslet. You do not look like Kate Winslet. Ergo, you should not be a nanny.

Anonymous said...

I weighed all the options you presented and have concluded that I also think that you should go for the county job.

Let us know what you decide!

Mizike said...

I'm looking at it from another direction. If you want to pursue a career in child care, or anything related to child welfare, the nanny job might be the best option. It can also be a good choice if you are planning on returning to school, since you can have lots of spare time while the kid sleeps.

As far as pay, if you decide to take the money under the table, it might end up being equal to the other job since you won't be paying taxes. The 30K job is just a possibility, not a sure-thing.

For me, I would take the county job. For one, the earning potential is higher. Next, it looks far better on a resume and will show up on your work history if a future employer performs a background check.

It will provide a new avenue for social interaction in a new town. It is a structured job, which you will have goals to reach and work toward. And the times are set, you have a very structured work day.

Not saying the nanny one isn't structured, but it appears to be more fluid. I personally like very defined jobs with metrics I can work with.

Also, it will be easier to leave this job in the future since you won't have any emotional attachments to it. Plus any benefits they may offer is a bonus!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Well, today I made an executive decision after weighing all of your advice and my own thoughts.

I called the nanny lady and told her I wouldn't be taking that job. I will be taking the county job.

She was very sad and said if I change my mind to not hesitate and call her. I told her my concerns about being paid under the table and she immediately said they could pay us normally with taxes and everything.

So, I've decided to take the county job and wait until I hear about the HR position. If that falls through, I should still know before the nanny lady goes back to work. If I really despise the tax job, I'll call her and see if they are still looking for a nanny.

Jessica was right. I have everything I need to be a mom and I don't have to practice on someone else's kid. Mike is also right, though, that if I decided to pursue a masters or get more schooling, the nanny job would be optimal. I hadn't considered that.

But I'll go in this direction and see where I end up I guess.

Thanks for all the help!

Anonymous said...

sorry i checked late. i also just wanted to mention that with your current situation that it might be heart-wrenching to be with someone else's baby all day when what you really want is your own. i have known a lot of people who have said, "It's not fair that they have a baby and don't even want to be with it all day...." (blah, blah, blah....by the way I know a lot of people who would love to stay home and can't for some reason, so I don't want to offend any of you working moms.) Plus, let's just say that things worked out for the best somehow and you got pregnant. nothing is worse than changing diapers when you are pregnant, and wiping noses and cleaning up spit up. and i think that it would be exhausting to be one on one with a baby all day while expecting (speaking from experience). it would be nice to have something to get your mind off of the whole baby situation one way or the other.