Friday, November 03, 2006

The Battle of the Holidays

The end of the year is arguably the best time of year. Between Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas (not to mention National Ammo Day on Nov. 19th) it's a time of traditions, food, candy, decorations, family, and fun. This year it seemed as though people decorated just as much for Halloween as most people do for Christmas. (That was my pumpkin I delightedly carved this year.)

Growing up the best Halloween tradition was making ghost suckers the home evening before Halloween. We’d cover our entire dining room table with shiny aluminum foil, melt down white chocolate, and blob it over Popsicle sticks. We used toothpicks and food coloring to put faces on and give the ghosts some character. Our “ghost suckers” were famous among the neighborhood kids and only the really special and close neighbors would get them (limited number, you see).

I kind of feel sorry for poor little Thanksgiving. It's so overlooked. Today on the radio they were discussing how early people should start with Christmas. I've noticed Christmas commercials peppering TV stations. The stores have taken down their demons and goblins and have already replaced them with angels and stockings. Two of the DJs were of the mind that Christmas music and decorations should be held at bay at least until Thanksgiving was over. The third argued that the Christmas season started November 1st.

Personally, I think starting two months early is overkill.

Thanksgiving was either spent in Mesa with my Grandparents and cousins or at home with a random assortment of hippies and family friends. Mom would always make a full spread. Among my favorite were her delicious wheat rolls and a load of pies. We’d often help peel and slice apples with the hand crank peeler. If we were at my grandparents, Grandpa inevitably cracked a slew of delicious pecans while watching the traditional Football bowls. It is a good holiday, even if it doesn't get the hype and decoration of Halloween and Christmas.

Christmas pretty much started the day after Thanksgiving when we’d drive to the forest in Heber and cut down our Christmas tree (or Christmas bush as Bryan liked to call them--it's hard to judge how big it really is in a wide open forest). We’d try and measure them by Dad lifting up his arm. If it was close to that length it would fit in our living room. That weekend we’d string popcorn and cranberries (10:1 ratio) for the tree and put up the lights and decorations like mom’s hand painted nativity, homemade advent calendar, and Chris-moose (also made at enrichment—or homemaking as it was called then.) She also made all of our stockings that hung on our fireplace.

The Monday before Christmas we turned on “The best Christmas pageant ever” and made graham cracker houses. That was great fun because we had a lot of candy to snack on (one for the house, one for me). I especially loved using the red cinnamon bears as Santa. Dad often made an out house or a Navajo trading post for his.

Matt and I differ on Christmas season timing. I think it's perfectly wonderful to start the Christmas season the day after Thanksgiving and last until the New Year. He thinks it should start about 3 days before Christmas and last until the New Year. He's a bit grinch-ish about it I'd say...

And you? When do you think it's ok to begin the Christmas festivities??

10 comments:

Lady Steed said...

Well certainly not until Thanksgiving has past, anything before that is just plain wrong. Personally I like to start Christmas celebrations Dec 1st. I like to have a little breather between the two. Though, I do start my Christmas shopping as early as possible. Last year I think we had all of our presents taken care of by October. This year not so.

Just so you know, he's always been a little Grinchy about Christmas. But don't let that spoil your fun.

Lady Steed said...

.

Christmas morning and not before 10 am.

Th. said...

.

(that grinch was me)

Anonymous said...

that picture of the cat pilgrim cracked me up SO BAD! I was laughing and made Cannon come and look at it, and he thought it was funny but not THAT funny. Anyway, you just do all you want for Christmas and let Matt do his little grinchy thing until Dec. 23rd.

Anonymous said...

Three days before Christmas! And we thought Grandpa G was a grinch. At least he let the tree go up Dec. 15th.

I'm all for compromise. You don't start decorating the day after Thanksgiving and he gives up the Dec 23rd idea. Settle on Dec. 1st. That's half way between the two, right?

Seriously, you will find the reason for the day after Thanksgiving is that you usually have a vacation day in there. Same reason that is the biggest Christmas shopping day of the year. Generally the weather is still good enough to put up the lights. I doubt that is a worry in Texas though.

PS great jack-o-lantern

PPS Amanda, I also laughed at the dog and cat. Having just come from NYC where there were whole shop windows devoted to pet costumes for Halloween, it didn't seem too far fetched though.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking I needed to start playing my Christmas music. I LOVE Christmas music and have quite a bit of it. The girls love it and it makes everyone in a good mood. I don't think you should put up decorations until the day after Thanksgiving...although this year with David we may hold off. He will probably rip it down a few times!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

OH, and for those of you interested. Matt did carve a pumpkin too.

I think Mizike may be the only one that has a chance of recognizing the design rip off.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Lady: Don't you worry. I don't let it get to me. I will decorate when I want and he won't do anything to stop me. He is willing to concede after Dec. 1st, but no earlier. That's fine with me.

Th.: Grinchy grinch grinch. I hope you have a heart changing experience in this year and reconsider.

Amanda: I am SO GLAD you found that picture delighting. I thought it was funny and all the other Thanksgiving pictures were lame.

J.: That is so funny that you're already getting the music out. I love to listen to Christmas music (particularly a mix that Bry made for mom and dad a couple years ago. And Ella Fitzgerald. And the big band stuff. And SHeDAISY. Good times.) But I can't start listening before December 1st or I find myself getting burned out on it by Christmas.

Mizike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

We would decorate the day after Thanksgiving, but we would buy a tree until a week or two before Christmas. When I was in school, Christmas didn't seem to start until once school was out.