Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Follow the Leader

I have distinct migratory patterns. I am a follower pure and simple. Unless I'm in a group of people who can't make up their minds. Then I get exasperated and I start snapping decisions off left and right. (Unless it involves what should be made for dinner, but that is a different story all together. )

Anyway, back to my original train of thought.

If Matt is in the computer room, I am in the computer room. If I have nothing to do in the computer room, I find something to do in the computer room.

If Matt is painting figurines in the living room, I find myself pulling out my craftsy stuff right next to him, even if I don't have a real project to work on.

If he has an errand to run, I am like an eager lap dog, waiting to go on a trip with my buddy. I don't know if he's gone grocery shopping on his own since before we were married. (I, on the other hand, have gone many many times on my own because he does not feel the same need to constantly be by my side.)

If he's watching TV, I'm watching TV. I watch TV shows I wouldn't watch on my own. Heck, before I married him I watched a total of 0 hours of TV a week. How I've digressed.

I don't even have to be talking to him or interacting directly with him (though that is a MAJOR plus). I just like knowing we're sharing something in common; I like being together even if we're not doing something together.

I don't like being alone for more than an hour or two. Unless I'm reading. And even then I feel like I'm not alone because I'm delving into other people's stories.

I flock to others. I hope they don't mind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! I'm not the only one who does this! ...But I'm now finding myself starting to fret because I'll be spending this weekend pretty much alone while my husband presents research in Houston. Hmmmm. I wonder what sorts of "substitute mechanisms" I'll use (loud music? TV? unsuspecting ward members?). Hmmm..

Lady Steed said...

hahahahahaha!!!

Eric is the same way. It's very endearing. I hope Matt feels the same way...but how could he not?

Also, loved the 'eager lap dog' comparison.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Hmmm...I don't think endearing is the word he'd choose. He's very much like your/his mom in that he can do anything by himself and be JUST FINE.
Very independent fellow.

G'pa Bob said...

I can identify with both sides. When I have something that must be done then I can't be visited with but when I am idle then I gravitate toward my Sweetheart who is also frequently busy. She is similar and we each toss the other a loving kiss when we see the lonliness in the other. And sometimes we say "Bummer honey".