Sunday, November 26, 2006

So you're telling me there's a chance

At our Dr.'s appointment last week we found out that on our own, at very best, we have 10% chance per year of getting pregnant. That means I might have 1 kid by the time I'm 35 without medical help.

Good new is, there's one surgery we can try before in vitro that will actually be covered by insurance. That surgery has 2/3 of a chance of helping boost our pregnancy rate to a "normal" range. We wouldn't see the results of that surgery (i.e. the hoped for pregnancy) for almost a year, however, because of internal details that I don't quite understand. If this doesn't help, the next step would be the $20K (+), not covered by insurance, in vitro.

We won't be able to get into surgery until next year because it's totally booked up this last month with people who want to get on this year's deductible.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck! you could always move to massachusetts where it is required by law for insurance to cover fertility treatments. or maybe you could do one in vitro and get TRIPLETS!! hopefully the surgery will help and you can put all of this behind you.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

THanks so much! And massachusetts isn't such a bad place. I wonder if they have a Raytheon there...

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

OH, and if we end up having to do IVF, I really do hope I end up having at least twins, maybe triplets. It would be a heck of a lot of work but it would be much more cost effective!

Mizike said...

I'm not sure in the how it works in the states, but I know in England you can sign up for a donor program for IVF.

By donating eggs, you receive free IVF treatment as payment. Half all harvested eggs will go to another couple, while you keep the other half for IVF implantation.

England has a more progressive social medical program than the states, no guarantee they will do the same here. Medical treatment here is be far more capitalistic.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

From what it sounded like, we'll should hopefully be able to do IVF with our own stuff. No donors necessary so far as I know.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I hate when I change the direction of my sentence half way through. Then you get sentences like "we'll should hopefully..."

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mizike said...

That's good. I'm not sure if you misunderstood me.

This is so you can IVF with both Matt's and your contribution. The program in England would have you donate half your harvested eggs to another woman who has not viable eggs. She'd used her eggs and have her husband/whoever be the sperm source.

Nothing would change on your side as far as the IVF treatment than normal (except you have half the harvested eggs to play with). The donation would be your payment for the IVF treatment.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I did misunderstand. That's interesting.