Tuesday, March 07, 2006

So effective you can skip a day

You'd think with a slogan like "so effective you can skip a day" that Michum deodorant would be at least SOMEWHAT effective for people who sweat a lot. But no, it's actually worse than other products I've used. But then again, I've yet to find something that does work.

My struggles began with puberty around 6th grade. (Don't they all?) The shirt I was wearing was one of my favorites. It was a fitted, teal green, wide scoop neck cotton shirt. As I was walking somewhere with two friends I began to notice large, discolored wet spots under my arms. I was horrified. I'm pretty sure I was already wearing deodorant by then so I couldn't figure out what had changed. Little did I know that that would begin a self conscious and unfortunately wet teenage reign. It also really affected my clothing choices and styles over the next few years.

I've decided my excessive sweating is and always has been anxiety ridden. Though I generally feel confident and outgoing in social situations, I always feel a little insecure and immediately I start to sweat. When I notice I've begun to sweat a little, I become more insecure and self-conscious and I, in turn, sweat even more. It's a horrible cycle. Maybe I should never step outside my house. I don't usually have this problem when I'm at home...

Luckily during my most awkward and self-conscious years, baggy shirts were still in style. I also wore many multi-colored shirts that didn't matter if they had a little discoloration. In high school when fitted shirts started becoming more popular I found that stretchy spandex/polyester shirts dried quickly. I came to really love my bright and loud shirts and I think they helped define my personality. (Once when I showed a co-worker my senior pictures she said, "and you had friends?" Ouch.)

So, it's been 13 years since that first sweat incident and I'm still wondering if there's any hope for me. Probably not. I mean, if the deodorant that's "so effective you can skip a day" doesn't give me a dry hour, I think I may be a lost cause...

6 comments:

Lady Steed said...

I feel your...um...dampness....

I too have this problem. Does Brother Steed? If so, your children are doomed to a life of slick sides.

BTW I have never noticed this problem on you. I hope that makes you feel better, but then again you just revealed a problem about yourself that I had no previous awareness. I admire your full disclosure on matters some would find too personal and embarrassing to talk about.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Haha. No, Bro. Steed has no problem whatsoever with this. He barely even sweats when he exercises.

Because I'm so self conscious about it I've tried very hard to hide it. So, I'm glad it's not been so glaringly obvious.

Anonymous said...

Hey Celia- it must be a family thing! I don't have the whole sweat thing, but my little Catie is a sweating machine. Especially hands and feet. I think it comes from that Crazy Grandma Zena side. Baby powder works pretty good. Don't fret. It's all good :-).

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Poor dear. My hands have vastly improved in their sweatiness. They used to always be cold and clammy. I was always afraid that if I ever did get around to holding hands with a boy that he'd be grossed out by it. Luckily, I somehow passed through that phase and I'm now married. =)

Anonymous said...

Well I just can't let this one go without a comment. Whoever thought your high school clothes were not "in" obviously didn't know anything about retro. Remember your senior year when we walked into Dillard's (high fashion for those not from AZ) and were greeted by racks and racks of polyester brown pants and crazy little polyester shirts like you would wear? And remember the Buffalo Exchange and other stores where people would empty their closets of 70's clothes and make big bucks while the rest of us were thrilled to find great treasures! I wonder if those stores even exist anymore. Thankfully that retro style didn't last long but at least it lasted long enough for your purposes with the sweat issue. Who would have guessed your motives for your wardrobe! We all just thought you were expressing your individuality.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

She was from CA. Abercrombie came out strong when she was in High school (she graduated 3 years after I did) so she was all about the preppy look.