Saturday, March 18, 2006

Hobby update

Though semaphore looked appealing, I didn't have the right equipment so that was a no go. =) I'm still debating the juggling, but the only juggling items I have on hand are knives, and I'm not so sure that's a good idea. The weblinks Nate gave me proved to be interesting, though I'm still trying to figure out all the plug ins I need to run the archive.org properly. Since we're trying to save up as much as possible for the house we're hoping to buy, all craft projects that require purchasing things I don't already own are out. Despite all this, I've found a few new things to occupy my time.

1. Wickapedia: so many interesting things to read about.

2. Photoshop and Picasa: I used to use photoshop once upon a time in production printing in high school. I've forgotten most things so I'm sure it will take me awhile to get reacquainted with the program. It's fun messing with picture and making them look better or worse than they really are.

3. Though I said I was bored of the piano, I have been practicing quite a bit this week since I'm accompanying the choir for Stake Conference tomorrow. I got the music two weeks ago. Two songs aren't difficult. The third is a Mendelssohn piece that has required a little attention. It's fun to have new music. I've also been practicing up on BYU campus on real pianos. My little keyboard the Brasfield's gave me is nice, but oh how nice it feels to play on a real piano...

Amanda, or any other piano player reading this...do you have any suggestions for new music or composers?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest photography to your original message. Also I thought of snow shoeing, hiking, cross country skiing...all the things you cant do in TX. or what about watercoloring or graphic design. I also thought of piano teaching lessons...people pay big bucks for piano lessons (here the going rate is 45/hr)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

It's too late for me to teach piano here. I've thought about doing it when we move. I don't know what the rate is in TX, but it's horrible here. High end for teaching children is about 16$ an hour. Too many people can teach.

I've totally wanted to try watercoloring and I would love to learn graphic design. Do any of my graphic artists have suggestions on how to learn some of that on my own?

Anonymous said...

there are some library books meant for teaching art. You can borrow some of my supplies if you'd like. Ruth and I could come paint with you sometime, too, maybe!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Ooo! That would be so fun. And you'll only be, what, three hours away? Maybe we couldn't have an every day get together, but we should be able to swing something...

Anonymous said...

are you a licenced yoga instructor? that might be fun to teach yoga and piano. julie

Anonymous said...

if i knew how to play the piano, this is what i'd learn:

stockhausen // klavierstuck XI

debussy // children's corner suite: the snow is dancing

cage // suite for toy piano

reich // come out

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that you did a great job at Stake Conference. I like to sew in my spare time, do you and Matt have a sewing machine? JBaird

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

We don't have a sewing machine. It was on my list of things I wanted last Christmas, but it wasn't really practical to get it in CA and fly back to UT.

Thanks for the compliment too. =)