Thursday, March 09, 2006

Changing tastes

The lunch I made today consisted of taco soup, quesadillas, a green salad and a fruit salad. Some of the quesadillas had red and green peppers and onions in addition to the cheese. The other half were just plain cheese. Some of the girls refused to try the quesadillas with the peppers and onions, and others refused to try the taco soup because it had beans in it. I thought "how the heck could anyone dislike beans???? I LIVE off beans." Though I wasn't frustrated today at their lack of ethnic adventurism, I often am frustrated at girls who refuse to try new things.

That got me thinking about my own teenage eating habits and how they've changed over the years. I used to hate: bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, olives, meat, seafood, and cracked wheat. Now, I legitimately had a reason for disliking bell peppers and onions in raw forms because they hurt my stomach. I don't know if I ever gave the other things a fair chance. I think the thought of eating them was unappealing so I didn't even try.

I think I started "growing up" and "branching out" my sophomore year of college. I started building up a tolerance for the peppers, onions and mushrooms cooked and later figured out they're not so bad raw. Olives turned out to be a wonderful addition to my much eaten mexican food and my rarely eaten but much loved pizza. After meeting my husband I started incorporating meat into my diet little by little. (That by far was the hardest adjustment...) I love hot cereals such as cracked wheat (thank you Grandpa for introducing me to it though I didn't appreciate it then...) and oatmeal. The only thing I have yet to really incorporate into my diet is sea food. I can eat a little fish, but I still get grossed out by pretty much all shell fish...they're just so chewy and...*shudder* I don't know if I can move past this one...

I really do think that people should try foods they don't like at LEAST once a year just to see if their tastes change. I also think that if you force yourself to eat something enough you'll build up a tolerance and eventually can come to like most anything. (That ONLY works if YOU are the one forcing you to eat things you don't like. If your mom or spouce force you to eat things you don't like, that most likely will will just build up resentment and that's never good...)

3 comments:

Lady Steed said...

Gotta agree with you on this Celia. I also, try to, try things I know I don't like at least once a year-- should the opportunity arrise. It seems like once a year I usually get the chance to see if I like shrimp yet and every time I still don't like shrimp.

But how could anyone not like cooked onions or bell peppers or beans! Do these girls only like white bread and celery? It's good you are trying to introduce them to flavor.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

As a matter of fact....YES! Well, minus the celery. It's more like cheese and white bread. Maybe a little...no, a lot of pasta. I've actually trained most of them to try food even if they don't eat the whole meal. There are a few stubborn girls though...

Th. said...

.

I have a number of bean-free siblings.

Weirdos.