Monday, December 31, 2007

Sometimes the ups outnumber the downs

We've been here in California just about 2 weeks now. I think this is the longest break I've taken from blogging since I started back in Feb. 2006! Sorry to my faithful readers who've checked in to only be disappointed by my lack of new posts. I've been absolutely spoiled here. I haven't had to think about what to make for dinner. I've had no piano lessons to teach. I've had help with Dean all day long. It's been fabulous.

First off: The airplane situation went ok. Our plane was delayed 2 1/2 hours so we were in the airport forever! He would have done really well had we left on time. He cried about 1/2 hour before we boarded and about 10 min. or so on the plane. We had a few glares, and one person moved to avoid sitting in front of us, but overall he slept quite a bit and did well enough. Not bad for a 2 mo. old who's a fusser under normal circumstances.

He's really started behaving much better here. I guess it's due mostly to him getting older. He's starting to figure out the whole smiling thing and he has longer periods of awake contentment. Christmas day was probably his best day ever. He went down easily, was happy when he was awake, and had minimal fussiness. What more could I ask for? It was a Christmas miracle. His behavior modification has been a relief as I am getting a little burned out on the incessant crying sprees. Like the one he had tonight.

Jimmeny Christmas! He's been so much better the past two weeks I'd almost forgotten what it was like at home. He was out of control crying. You know, the kind where he holds his breath followed by a piercing scream. Three of us took turns trying our best tricks to calm him down and he'd have none of it. But he finally did go to sleep. I'm just hoping this is a mere bump in the road and that he'll continue to improve with age.

I forgot to bring my camera hook ups for the computer so no pictures yet.

But speaking of pictures here's a funny little ditty. While taking family pictures on Christmas day, I accidentally walked in front of the camera while Th. was taking a picture. That resulted in a nice close up bum shot. I'd quite forgotten about the bum shot until tonight. Th. said as they were looking at the family pictures with their son Big O, he kept asking "Where's Celia?" on the pictures I wasn't in. When they got to the bum shot he said, "Oh, there she is!" (He's 4 and probably right at the height to ID me by my bum.)

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Sounds like a nice, relaxing vacation. Don't you just love having a thousand people around ready and willing to hold your baby 24/7 so you can have a little break? I certainly enjoyed my 2 weeks of that. :) Also, I agree with you...it's amazing how fast they grow up. The Garrett I took with me to Provo 2 weeks ago is a different Garrett than I brought back with me to Brooklyn. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

The Little Thompsons said...

Do you have your bum ID on you? That was hilarious! Glad you're having so much fun in Cali! Tell Snoop I said what up! Hope everything is Merry and Happy this season!

randa_joy said...

I've only been a faithful reader for a few weeks and I already missed you!! With Addie she gets lower maintenance in many ways and a little higher maintenance in other ways. More independance= more clean-up. But over all I would say she gets funner all the time.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

If Th. or LS forward me that picture, I'll post it. I mean, it is one of my more distinguishing features, so it would make a good ID badge.

Anonymous said...

Funny bum story. Glad to find a post. I'm one of those faithful readers that have missed your blogging.

Juls said...

hahaha! love the story! glad you are having so much fun!

You know I think the next time I fly I am going to bring ear plugs and hand them out to anyone who glares and just say something like...he is trying his hardest to ruin your trip.

Th. said...

.

I'll send it to you right now.