Thursday, November 01, 2007

Hallows Eve

Before my parents left for home yesterday we went on our first excursion with Dean (besides the Dr.). I needed to get some nursing bras from Target so we all packed up and headed out. It was exhausting! Even just trying things on and walking was tiring. Dean was pretty good, though he did require Grandma and Grandpa to hold him while I was trying things on. And then my parents drove home. It was sad. But the time had come.

When Matt got home from work we each carved 2 pumpkins. It was quite fun. I think our most successful year yet for pumpkin carving.

We didn't really get many trick or treaters. I think it's because we live on a cul-de-sac with BORING neighbors. We were the only people on our street (that we could tell) with our porch lights on and pumpkins lit. So, I think that kept most people from coming. But in reality, I was ok with that.

I didn't get to put Dean's cute Halloween outfits on since his cord hasn't quite fallen off yet. It's hanging by a thread, but it's still there. No matter, we'll let him be Daddy's little monster as long as he fits the outfit.

8 comments:

Erin S. said...

I love your pumpkins! Very intricate and detailed. We got two and then when the time came to carve them we just couldn't bring ourselves to do it. I guess the good news is that now we have Thanksgiving decorations if they last that long!

Emily said...

I like the one with the big eyes. Very haunting.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Thanks. Matt did the intricate skeleton one and the one with lots of pointy teeth. I did the other two.

Erin, Your pumpkins should totally last that long if you don't cut them or they don't get marred. You can cut them into large chunks and bake them at 350 for about an hour or until they're soft, puree them in a food processor with a little bit of milk, and use the pulp for pumpkin pie, muffins, cookies etc. Cooked pumpkin freezes really well and it's WAY better than canned!

Lindsay said...

Lovely pumpkins!

Good luck with the parenting now that the grandparents have gone. You guys will do great! Be sure to take lots of pictures of Baby Dean, both for you, but also for the grandparents. Trust me: they will revel in them. :)

Juls said...

Your pumpkins totally skunked ours! Do you use a carving tool? Thanks for the pumpkin cooking tip. There is a local nursery that is selling them for $1 each. Do you freeze them in 1 cup in a bag?

J D C and N said...

Awesome pumpkins!!! You've been tagged Celia- check my blog to see what to do. (if you find the time...no worries if not!!) :)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

We do use the little pumpkin carving knifes. I can't believe we used real knives growing up and no one ever cut an appendage off!

I actually just freeze my pumpkin in tupperware, but I'm sure it would be fine in freezer bags.

Oh, I forgot to say to skin the pumpkin after it's cooked. Hopefully people would know that, but if not, it's important.

Coleen and Todd Staples said...

I am impressed that you carved pumpkins at all! We had great plans to, and bought the pumpkins, but decided it would be a lot of work! Love your designs though. Very cool. I could use a lesson or two on cooking and storing pumpkins. I have to do something with them! We thought about throwing them off the parking garage at the train station, but it seemed too juvenile. I guess cooking them would be the next best thing, right? :)