Thursday, March 08, 2007

Journal Gems

Last night I was reading through a journal I had to keep for my 5th grade class. I was cracking up at my entries since most of them were notes to my teacher. My favorites include:

Aug. 28,1991
I have a poem for you.

Camels
Camels are strange anamals. [sic]
have you ever seen a camel?
Camels have a big hump.
It's like a water pump.
It can last for two days.
Maybe even two Mays.
One strange anamal is a camel.

Aug 29, 1991
I have another poem for you. =)

Waves
As I wait I watch and see.
The great waves as I sit there quietly.
I watch the great waves
Many watch them too.
Can it be the waves are saying peek-a-boo
The great waves pave the wonderful water.

Jan 27, 92
I have a game on Sat. at 2:00 pm if you want to come you can. I'll tell you where it is tommorow [sic].

May 8 (I was busting up over this one. Julie's only 3 years older than me.)
I read from 8:30 to 10 last night. Julie said she won't sign my assignment sheet anymore because it says PARENTS signiture [sic].

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the Waves poem is quite good. I'd like to hear from Prof. Waterman on that one.

Do you think your teacher ever really read your journal? Most teachers just check off to see if you did it.

Was your teacher Mrs. G.? If so she probably read every line.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

OH yeah. She (Mrs. G.) totally read it. She wrote lengthy comments on a lot of the entries too.

As for the poems, I was quite surprised at the waves one myself. For being in 5th grade and 10 years old, it's not too bad. Especially since I'd never really experienced waves other than the wave pool at Sun Splash.

Anonymous said...

No way. Surely we had been to Disneyland and the ocean before you were in the 5th grade!

Can you still recite The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere? Mrs. G. wants you to say that for her when she is in a rest home, remember?

Juls said...

I don't remember signing your assignment sheets. Thanks is REALLY funny. I was in Mrs. Gs class and I don't think I have a journal...I loved her though! I really liked your poetry. You loved writing...maybe you should try some now.

Juls said...

oh BTW I am chocolate girl...thought it was cute. I am going to start a blog sometime... love j

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

J. I'm glad you're on your way to having a blog. That's exciting.

Mom you're right. I was exaggerating. I'd been to Disneyland once, Florida once (when I was 2), and Lake Powell a couple of times. In all reality, I'd probably only been to Sun Splash once by that point as well. But I was a desert girl with very limited experience with waves.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh, and I remember the beginning of it, but not the full 3 page poem. I'm sure I could pick it up again for her.

"Listen my children and you shall hear of the midnight ride of Paul Revere. On the 18th of April in '75, harldy a man is now alive who remembers that famous day and year of the midnight ride of Paul Revere."

Sarah said...

I too love the waves poem. It's hilarious to see little kids trying to be deep. I'm glad you still have these papers around - save them for your babies!