Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I know this one!

I teach Sunday School to the 5 year olds who turn 6 this year.

Two weeks ago we had a lesson on Prophets. I had a lot of pictures of Old Testament, Book of Mormon, and latter-day Prophets. I'd give about 5 clues about the Prophet and say, "who am I?" The kids would then guess and point out the picture.

They found the right picture every time, but they didn't always know who the Prophet actually was. One kid continually guessed Joseph Smith (even on the clue "I was the very first Prophet. My wife's name was Eve. I was the first man on earth."). When I finally came to Joseph Smith's clues, that kid raised his hand and said, "Oo! Ooo! I KNOW this one!" Wanting to give him a chance to finally be right, I called on him.

"GEORGE WASHINGTON!!!!" was his enthusiastic response. It was so cute I couldn't help from laughing a little.

Me: "No, no.. your other guess Eddie."
Him: "But I know he was the first President."
Me: "You're very right. He was the first President of the United States. We sometimes call the Prophet the President of the Church, but he's not the President of the United States. Who was the first Prophet after the restoration?"
Him: "Joseph Smith?"

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ha! Ha! That's awesome!

Not to embarrass my husband (too much, anyway), he has a similar story...only I think he was older than 5 when this happened. He was in elementary school in the midwest and his teacher asked the class who the President of the United States was, and his hand shot up and when he was called on he confidently said, "President Ezra Taft Benson." Needless to say, his teacher was very confused.

Juls said...

It is almost as embarassing as starting the Pledge of Allegiance with "Heavenly Father" I did that a few times.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Lindsay, that's a great story.

Oo. J. I've done something similar. Once I answered the phone "Dear Heavenly Father" and it turned out to be the missionaries confirming an appointment! I think I was in 4th or 5th grade. I was mortified.

Anonymous said...

I remember being pretty old, like 7th grade, and still having to THINK really hard to not get Woodrow Wilson and Wilford Woodruff confused when answering out loud in school. I must have made a similar mistake earlier to be so paranoid about it in Jr. High.