Sunday, February 04, 2007

Back to square one and a half

Some of you probably remember that I've been waiting to hear about the HR Assistant position I interviewed for last November. At the end of December I was told I was still being considered for the position, but they were putting off hiring until they could get W-2's and the new time clock worked out. Since W-2's were due out last Wednesday, I decided to call and check on the status of the position after work on Friday.

"We're in a quandary [yes, she really did say the word quandary] over that position. You haven't been completely eliminated, but [my supervisor] is the one with the final decision. I wouldn't hang everything on the chance of getting this job. You should keep applying for other jobs in the county. If we are unable to fill that position by the time you're done at the property tax office [at the end of February], I might have you come over and try that position as a temp. and go from there."

It was pretty much what I expected. The woman who would actually be my supervisor liked me in the first interview. I could tell. Her supervisor was my second interviewer and I didn't have a good feeling after that. When I can't read people's body language and responses, I get nervous and a little up tight. I tend to give dumb answers, and I walk away slapping my forehead, wondering where some of those things I said came from. I actually think that if I were to walk in there right now, knowing what I know about the county and how I can contribute to an office setting, I would be snatched up in an instant. But I refuse to be like those sad American Idol rejects, begging for a second chance with no hope of acutally obtaining it.

I'm not quite back to the beginning, but I am trying to figure out, once again, what I should do with my life.

Keep job hunting, hoping that my resume will somehow stand out enough to get interviews? I'm starting to feel a little dejected and the thought of hours of fruitless job searching is a little disheartening. The best options seem to be with the county in all honesty.

Go back to school for my Masters or PhD? I could see myself doing some sort of Counseling Degree. Like a school counselor, not a therapist. Certify as a music teacher and either teach school or beef up my piano teaching? Maybe I could combine these two and get a Masters in Music Education...

Certify as a yoga instructor or message therapist? As appealing as both of these are, I am left to wonder if these will be as useless in the job market as my degree in Marriage, Family, and Human Development. I'd have to somehow wriggle my way into teaching at one of the two studios here or start my own studio. Though I have the entrepreneurial spirit, starting a business requires a lot more than I may be willing/able to supply. Capital, looong hours, marketing, patience, a location, permits, etc. It's enough to make my head spin.

Cosmetology? Culinary school? Graphic Design? Become a professional quilter and sell my stuff on Ebay?

Though I have interest in many, many things, I don't know if any of them are truly marketable or worth the time and money I would have to put into obtaining the training necessary.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Patience, patience. I bet you don't come off as badly as you say in your interviews. I still have my bet placed on you getting the job. I dare you to prove me wrong! Then, and only then will we have to discuss the possibilities of you going to rub naked people with oil for a living.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Sarah, I think the job is yours. On the off chance that you don't get it, I would sit down and really think about what you would LOVE to accomplish or learn or experience in your life and go for it.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I really don't think I have it. Seriously. Her voice held little to no hope for me for that one. But my boss in property tax said that there will be two openings there in the next two months and she would like to keep me if possible.

I like it there, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to give up my ability to travel at Christmas yet. They give the day before Christmas, Christmas and the day after. Other than that it is not possible for full time people to take vacation during Tax season...

BWaterman said...

your undergrad degree will become marketable if you build off it and get another that actually qualifies you either to be a therapist (LCSW?) or to work in some other counselling position. shrinks make decent money. i know mine does anyway!

i agree with amanda: choose what you love. do it. don't be too practical. don't wait too long.

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

Oh, honey, I know how you feel. It seems like everytime I make a decision all these new possibilities open up. But I think you'll figure it out and find something that makes you really happy.

Mizike said...

You guys switch severs?

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Thanks guys. One hard thing is the closest University is a 45 min. commute in GOOD traffic. Does anyone know anything about University of Phoenix? Just a thought.

Mizike, it's great to see you on. It's been awhile. We're on, but we both have been playing new bloodelf alts. My new character is Zandri (hunter) and Matt's new is Siphron (paladin). I obviously don't play as much since I'm only lvl 13 and he's lvl 44.