Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Attempts at communication

Yesterday was my first Monday of fall lessons since last Monday was a holiday. I have been dreading Mondays because I have 2 hours of lessons that go right up until Dean's bedtime. He did really well during the first hour. He ate his dinner, played with toys, dumped out all of our recycling, etc. At 5 he started getting a little needier and luckily for me, daddy came home and took him. I don't think Dean counts himself lucky. He did ok for the first 15 min. And then he cried inconsolably for 40 min. The last five min. Matt got him a cheese stick to help distract and calm him down. At that point I could hear him in the other room saying, "Dada. Ok. Ok. gagagagagaga." The tone he was using clearly indicated his attempt at conveying an important message. He did that a couple of times with me after my lessons were over.

I have a feeling is going to be a very communicative child. Just shy of 11 months, I am pretty sure he's learned to say (though doesn't necessarily know the meaning and context completely) thank you, ok, mama, dada, cracker, yogurt, and drink. If I ask him to turn the light on or off he understands and complies, even if I don't show him or he's not facing the light switch. He gets excited if I tell him we're going outside. He waves a lot more and will even wave to his daddy now without promptings.

He anticipates things. Often when he's eating he'll close his eyes, open his mouth, and hold out his hands while waiting for me to bring the spoon in. Tonight when I was nursing him before bed, at the very end he started giggling. Right after his giggle, he gives me a sly look and bites me (not too hard, just testing me for a reaction I think)! I found it so funny, but I had to keep myself from laughing because he was totally anticipating a reaction.

1 comment:

Erin S. said...

I can't believe that it's almost been a year. He's getting so old! Ok, not really, but he's learned so many things! He's going to be a smart guy!