Sunday, April 08, 2007

Matt is great, he made me chocolate cake!

If you want to get technical, he actually made a "Better than Sex Cake." It is his long standing tradition for my birthday.

And what a good birthday it was (yesterday). I'm a whopping 26. More than a quarter of a century. Lol.

I don't mind getting older (not like 26 is old!). I notice I don't know much, and realize how much less I knew in previous years! Is that what makes you wiser? Knowing you don't know everything?

It was quite a pleasant day (except for the cold temperatures and a headache that plagued me half the day) that started with a testimony meeting/brunch with some Relief Society sisters. There were only 12 that showed up, but it was very nice indeed. Plus the food was great.

After that I went all over in search of a new Easter dress. I haven't bought church clothes in years and I really wanted to find something cute. I struck out at 5 stores and ended up finding 2 dresses at (where other than) Ross. They are very similar patterns and styles, but one is brown/white while the other is black/white. I'm happy. After wearing the new black/white one to church, I decided that "black and white" is the new Easter pastel. I imagined I'd see people wearing pinks, yellows, and purples to church today. But no, there were TONS of women in black and white patterned outfits.

Anyway, back to the birthday...we went to Blades of Glory (starring John Heder and Will Ferrell). It was funny overall. But if you're sensitive to sexual innuendo (not action, just talk), beware of Will Ferrell's character who's a "recovering sex addict".

Dinner was delightful. Olive Garden. I go there every couple of years for the salad dressing. YUM. I swear I could drink that stuff. So vinegary and salty.

Our after dinner party consisted of the afore mentioned cake and presents. It was one of the coolest years EVER for presents. Seriously. It was my first year making an Amazon wish list. I only could come up with 11 items to begin, but figured that was plenty to choose from and enough for me to be surprised.

My parents sent me some Isagenix shakes which were appreciated. They always leave me feeling nice and satisfied after drinking them.

To my surprise, my in-laws got me 3 items off my list.
  1. The Cosby Show season 1
  2. The Cosby Show season 2
  3. Beatles Love album
I can't tell you how excited I am about all three of those. The Cosby show is one of my all time favorite shows. When we were kids we knew we were going to cut off the cable so we taped a season of The Cosby Show. Man those were good times.

I thought Matt would get me a CD or something from my Amazon list, but he REALLY surprised me with a SWEET new mp3 player. It's a sansa express and is supposed to give the IPOD shuffle a run for its money. It's small, light weight, awesome, and he also got me an athletic case I can wear on my arm when I run. It's the first "direct connect" USB mp3 in existence, so you don't have to worry about cables or chargers. It's 1 GB but can be expanded to 3 GB with an additional memory card. I've wanted an mp3 player for years, but always figured they're too expensive. This one just came out and it's very reasonably priced. But even better, Matt had a Best Buy gift card from work so it was essentially FREE!! Woo hoo!

After cake and presents we watched (or rather Matt watched and I partially watched while I was in and out of consciousness) Shaolin Soccer. It's such a funny movie but I was soooo tired.

What a good birthday though. I'm a lucky girl.

13 comments:

Lindsay said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a great day!

Juls said...

I LOVE Olive Garden Salad dressing too! I usually get a meal but fill up on salad and bread then have two meals for the price of one :) I REALLy need to get a new dress too. I will have to check Ross. I am glad that you found something. I don't remember seeing too much black and white at church...but I guess I don't really have an eye for detail or am at all fasion savvy.

I am glad that you had a GREAT b-day! I couldn't remember if you were 26 or 27...man I had a hard time remembering this year! Much love

nanci said...

Yeah for birthdays! Now I have an excuse to send you something that has been on my mind.

Anonymous said...

We want the recipe for Matt's cake. Glad you had a great birthday.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

It's super easy.

You need:
1 chocolate cake mix (and everything that entails)
1 small can of sweetened condensed milk
1 small jar of caramel sauce
cool whip
2 heath or skor bars, crushed

Directions
Bake a chocolate cake from a mix according to directions on the box. When it's hot out of the oven, poke holes all over the top with a fork. Pour and spread 1 small bottle of caramel sauce and a can of sweetened condensed milk over the top. Refrigerate for a couple of hours so the delicious goo can sink down into the cake. If you think the whole cake will be eaten, I'd cover the top with cool whip (or whipped cream) and finish with a couple of crushed heath or skor bars sprinkled on top.

If you're like us and will eat the cake over a week or so, we just crush the candy bar and put it on top of the cake and use the cool whip on our individual servings when we eat it.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Also, you can make a coconut variation by using a white or yellow cake mix and cream of coconut instead of the caramel and S.C.M. Toast coconut and sprinkle it on top of the cool whip/whipped cream.

CACKEL said...

Your title is very fitting since it comes from one of those Cosby episodes when the dad gives his kids chocolate cake for breakfast, and when the mom comes home the kids are chanting, "Dad is great. He gives us chocolate cake." And then the dad says, "Well, it has eggs in it, and eggs are breakfast food." Anyway, you obviously remembered that and incorporated it into your title. I am just reminiscing.

Another Cosby-esque memory came up the other day when Kendall and ethan were sword fighting and Kendall held my shirt at the back of the neck and poked his sword into my back, and I said in an English accent, "Not so hard you MEAN THING." It came so naturally and it reminded me of the YEARS that we watched Robin Hood every Sunday. I don't know if those were the same years that we watched all of those Cosby Show tapes, but those were some good times.

PS As if this isn't long enough, I tried an Olive garden knock off recipe from the internet for their salad and dressing, and it actually did taste quite a bit like it. It's something like one bottle of romano cheese Italian dressing mixed with 2 T. sugar and some egg substitute or something. I made it for company, and lots of people commented that it was very similar, even without me bringing it up.

CACKEL said...

PS "cackel" is me, amanda, when it won't let me enter anonymously, which it does every now and then.

Anonymous said...

.

We made that chocolate cake reference last week and NO ONE GOT IT. We were very sad.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Mand, I knew it was you from Hollywood Flakes. I already have you bookmarked in anticipation that one day you will begin blogging. I thought the name (or should I say acronym) "cackle" was quite clever. Love it.

Th. it's a crying shame.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Also, an aside on the "better than sex cake."

When I was in High School I was at my best friend's grandma's house for some holiday or birthday, celebrating with their family. That cake was being served. Her mom suddendly said, "I don't know who in the heck named that cake, but it's not better than my sex!"

Oh man was I not expecting to hear that! HAHA.

Juls said...

blech...something I am sure your teenage mind did not want to hear! too funny though.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I didn't really care, but boy did it catch me off guard since I'd never heard a parent say anything like that.