Friday, April 13, 2007

The emergence of a belly

I am officially past my 12 week mark and my belly is starting to bud. I am all for pregnant ladies wearing (nicely, not ill) fitted shirts and stylish outfits rather than trying to hide their emerging tummies.

Luckily I haven't really hit that awkward "they don't know I'm pregnant so I hope they don't think I'm just getting fat" stage since almost everyone I interact with regularly knows I'm preg-o. Today, however, is the first day I've had anyone comment about me actually looking the part. It wasn't only 1, but 3 co-workers who separately commented. I think it's part belly and part shirt choice. One woman was tactful, the other two not so much. But I know they all meant well, so I can't hold it against them.

8 AM "Oh, you're starting to show! How exciting!"
11:30 AM "Looks like you're starting to gain weight!"
3 PM "You have a pooch! Can I touch it?"

So it's been a little worrisome to me that I'll gain weight in places I can't blame on baby, so I'm trying not to obsess or stress. It doesn't help that every pregnancy book I've read has talked about eating enough (but not too much) and to gain weight (but not too much). They have ridiculous menus that, sure, would be good for anyone to convert to, but aren't all that realistic in my mind. Like sweetening muffins with juice concentrate rather than sugar, cutting out salt, etc. My mom suggested it is a swinging pendulum from the old days of "Eat on up! You're eating for two!!" or "You're pregnant, it's ok to eat a lot/ whatever you want."

I'll try and be smart, but I have to say it's been increasingly difficult to want to eat veggies other than cucumbers in my vinegar/salt brine and that delicious Olive Garden Salad.

Here's the "end of the 1st trimester" photo update so you can see for yourself.

9 comments:

Juls said...

Just like any time in life...eat when you are hungry. Don't eat just because you are pregnant and you can eat whatever you want. you look great and don't worry about what other people say. You will get a lot more comments I am sure. When I was 16 weeks with David someone told my I already had the pregnancy waddle. Oh I didn't like that one too much, but what can you do? I also thought it was funny about the fruit juice sweetener...blech! I think I read that you need about 500 more calories a day which is ~ 1 regular yogurt & a bagel. So don't stress, just eat normal and you will be fine (this is coming from a girl who gained 40 lbs with each baby :) so take it for what it is worth)

FoxyJ said...

If you've been reading "What to Expect", just chuck that thing right now. It's totally a hunk of junk.

And you look great! I always think pregnant women look great no matter what. And like the other commenter said, just eat when you're hungry and don't stress about it too much. As you get bigger, smaller, frequent meals are the way to go. Also, don't forget to eat lots of protein. I went through tons of peanut butter when I was pregnant...

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Thanks ladies. I feel like I have a pretty good internal indicator that tells me how, when, and what I should eat.

I have noticed that the "what" has become a little skewed lately since veggies don't ever sound appealing. Luckily I know good nutrition includes veggies and excludes the fried/salty food that sounds good sometimes.

Protein's harder too because chicken has lost almost all it's appeal and I've never been great about red meats. Plus I'm not "supposed" to eat deli meats because of the nitrates, so cold cut sandwiches are mostly out (though I don't think it's a big deal if I have one every now and then). PB is ok, but is losing its appeal. Beans, eggs, cheese are holding strong for me, but I doubt even with those I'm getting enough protein.

Luckily mom's Isagenix shakes have like 23 grams of protein per serving so that helps.

FoxyJ said...

I totally ignored the deli meats thing and ate hot dogs and ham with abandon. Weird, I know, but both my kids are happy and healthy.

Lindsay said...

And the belly cometh! Enjoy it while it's small!

As for weight gain and all that...my doctor told me that the whole "eating for two" philosophy was junk. He said that I really shouldn't be eating more than normal. And so far he's been right. I get hungry more often, but because my stomach has been squished to make way for baby, I can't eat as much. Seriously, if you just eat healthy and listen to your body's needs, you should be fine. There's no need to go over the top in preparing fancy "pregnant meals" when a regular well-balanced, fruits-&-veggies-focused diet will do just fine. And besides, as I learned yesterday in my childbirth class, baby gets first dibs on everything you eat, so you'll probably be wanting more healthy stuff anyway because your own body will crave the nutrients.

As for the protein, try fish a couple times a week. I've never been much of a fish eater until now, but suddenly a piece of lemon-grilled salmon or tilapia never tasted so good!

Anonymous said...

you can eat the deli meats, etc. if you cook them first. I nuke mine in the microwave. If they arent the cheapo kind it doesnt affect the texture too much.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Talapia good.
Halibut good.
Salmon ok.
Orange Roughy sick. Sooo fishy. We bought a bag from Costco. We've eaten it twice now (once tonight). This is the first thing I've almost thrown up while eating. I'm still trying to eat it, but it will be a long while before I make fish again.

I am trying to eat more fish since neither of us really ate fish at all before this past year.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your concerned about what you eat. Deli meats are not good for anyone. Ever. But who can live without ham once in awhile? The nitrates are junk. But so is a lot of other stuff. I liked your comment that an occasional sandwich with deli meats was OK. That's the kind of thing that doesn't have immediate and obvious repercusions. Do you like celery with peanut butter?

Lady Steed said...

Hmmm...sounds like you've been reading that 'What to Expect When You're Expecting' book. I have it too, and yes it's ridiculous.

What! I shouldn't have deli meats! I have ham like everyday in a sandwich. Great, now I'm going to starve... thanks. Oh wait, no scratch that. I just made a huge plate a cupcakes with chocolate frosting, me and the babe will be fine. Like Foxy said, that book is crazy, take anything it says in the diet area VERY lightly, because, hello, crazy!

You should be really careful with fish though. I've been reading some scary stuff about fish and mercury.

You should know, I believe that eating healthy amounts of chocolate during pregnancy makes for a happier baby.

Thanks Foxy for the deli meat comment. Now I feel better because the nitrates obviously had no affect on your kids since they both appear to be brilliant.

Can't wait to see more pictures of you and your expanding tummy! I just started showing so that people notice during the last month. I finally have to start wearing pregnancy clothes.