Sunday, April 29, 2007

The End--PSYCH!

Well, Friday was supposed to be my last day of temping with the county. I had mentally prepared myself for the fact that I'd have a week without work before our East coast trip. I'd planned on looking for some more temp work that could last me through the summer when I got back, but I was looking forward to a little break.

Then one hour before The End on Friday, the acting supervisor (the true supervisor wasn't there that day) came and whispered to me, "This is for your ears only, but Sandy got permission to let you stay for the next month or so. Just don't say anything because the other temps won't have this chance." I thought it was kind of funny she'd say that because the majority of the temps had already been let go over a month ago, and it was down to just two of us. And the other one wanted to leave long before Friday, so I can't imagine her feeling jaded that I'd get to stay longer when she didn't.

When I spoke with our office HR lady to make sure my badge wasn't going to be deactivated, she told me that the time frame I'd be able to work was kind of indefinite. It almost sounded like I could temp there until I wanted to quit for baby reasons. This really is quite a blessing, though I'd already moved on mentally.

I'm sad I won't be able to exercise in the mornings, but I'm glad I can contribute to our savings as long as possible. Maybe we'll be able to get us a second car by the time we have this kid. That would be convenient. If not we'll make do. It helps that we only live 1 mile from Matt's work. Gotta love that commute.

7 comments:

Juls said...

Are they okay with your trip?

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh yeah. They don't care at all.

Lindsay said...

I totally understand this feeling. When we moved out here, it was only going to be for 2 years, and then we'd move on to somewhere else. Only now it's looking like staying here will be a strong possibility. Other than the fact that we're SO far away from family, I honestly wouldn't mind sticking around here for a few more years. Only mentally I was ready to go. And I might not be able to. And that's hard to reconcile in my brain.

CACKEL said...

wow, celia, this is the first time that i had heard that matt got the transfer to mckinney. yahoo. and good job on retaining your good job. and have fun on your trip.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh man. I must have dropped the ball on that one! He's been here in McKinney since late June/early July!

Yankee Haffners said...

Just wanted to let you know we only have one care and we're going to be adding a 3rd carseat to the back of our Ford Taurus. Grocery runs and errands have been "joyous" I tell ya becasue it means getting children up and out the door by 6:30 to drop Daddy off at work. Its smart to save up and pay cash - I HATE debt. (which is why we live in the ghetto at the present!) Its easier to get out of debt :)
Have a great trip!

Yankee Haffners said...

oops CAR, somedays only one CARE would be great but adulthood doesnt allow for that does it! ha ha ha