Sunday, April 01, 2007

General Conference

I love General Conference. This round seemed especially good. I only slightly dozed during one talk on Saturday afternoon and a prayer today. It was a long prayer. Sheesh.

Highlights:
Saturday
Elder Holland reminding us how important words are. Negative words about ourselves and others have a greater impact than we realize. I need to be better about criticizing less and keeping my speech KTN (kind, true, and necessary).

Elder Bednar relating becoming born again with making pickles. Boy did I want to make pickles after his talk was over. Seriously. It's a good thing we tilled up a garden area for us in our back yard last week. I'm going to grow me some cucumbers and make me some pickles. Oh, and hopefully I'll work more on saturating myself more in the scriptures and becoming a better disciple of Christ.

Sunday
President James E. Faust gave one of the best talks I've ever heard on forgiveness. I'm pretty forgiving by nature and I've only ever harbored black, angry feelings against three people that I can think of. But those didn't last, thank heavens, and I can seriously say I have no seething animosity toward anyone. Good thing since those feelings hurt us most in the long run. They distort our perception of reality and we are victims of our own anger. It also made me excited that I'll get to go to Amish country in May.

President Hinckley made me think again on the nature of God. I am continually amazed that anyone who reads and believes the bible also believes in the Trinity version of God as opposed to the Father, Son and Holy Ghost as three separate and distinct beings. Also, what an amazing and funny man. And 97 years old!!

Elder Eyring gave a great talk on procrastination. I can't tell you how often I think things like, "I'll be better about X when Y happens." Ok, ok. I get it. I need that someday to be today so I will be better for it tomorrow.

2 comments:

Juls said...

I loved all those talks too! Elder Holland's talk was especialy good for me to hear. It is really hard to keep a calm voice when everyone else is screaming...mom how did you do it with 7 of us???
Thanks for telling me what Elder Bednar talked about...he was the only one we didn't have a "topic" for (Sarah's friend) I guess I don't recognize his voice yet.

The Amish tragedy was horrible! It is in the county just to the south of us and there are people in our stake in Lancaster...so sad, but great talk about forgiveness. That is what I am supposed to teach in RS on Sunday and there are a lot of people who have been wronged recently so it is going to be a sensitive subject. I guess I will really have to be prayful.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I thought it'd be close to you, but I didn't realize Lancaster is in your stake. Good luck with your lesson. I'm sure you'll do well.