Monday, April 02, 2007

Just admit it already

When people ask me how I've been feeling, I generally tell them I've felt pretty well. Not sick, a little unsettled at times, but overall I've been just peachy.

But I think I've been fooling myself a little. I mean, for the most part I do feel fine, but I have my moments, or hours sometimes. For instance, it was unpleasant doing dishes tonight and the smells of certain things were very unsettling. Like I wanted to throw up, but didn't actually do it, unsettled. Some may call this nausea. Why is it so hard for me to admit I'm nauseous?

When people at work first found out I was pregnant, they were great. A little too great. Like, they wanted to pamper me and kept telling me not to lift things like a ream of paper! Come on people. I'm pregnant, not handicapped!

I have a strong, proud streak running through me. I like to do things myself. I like to mow the lawn. I string grocery bags up and down my arms trying to get everything in one fell swoop. I like to help move furniture. When pulled over for speeding, I made a conscious decision to not do the crying girl thing to try and get out of it. I don't like being told I can't do something because I'm short, a girl, pregnant, etc. Somehow I think if I admit I've been a bit nauseous it weakens me in others' eyes, that they'll baby me even more than they already are.

But I'll say it now. I'm nauseous. Just don't coddle me too much please.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Blech. I'm sorry you're nauseous. It was hard at first for me to admit I was nauseous, too. But I pretty quickly had to give in...throwing up every day at work kind of speeded that process along. Ultimately, I just had to stay the heck away from the kitchen (but stay close to the bathroom).

As for people coddling you -- just keep moving. Keep going and they'll all catch on pretty quick that even though you're pregnant, you're plenty capable of being normal.

Jessica Baird said...

That's funny, when I'm pregnant I usually like everyone to know so that they will coddle me a bit more. Once I told my mom I wanted to take the elevator instead of the stairs and she made me take the stairs and said that if I babied myself now I would regret it later. I told that to myself everytime I thought about going unnecessarily easy on myself and it helped. I thought it would make my labor easier since I would be in better shape and it probably did. Just don't push yourself too hard, eh? ;)

nanci said...

I agree on the babied thing, I was always bugged by the "rules" people seemed to set out for what pregnant women could and couldn't do. Am I all the sudden not able to know my limitations?? I have felt some of those same feelings with Clint being gone, like all the sudden I will not be able to take care of my own yard or move furniture.
`Press forwrd prego!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Hahahaha. Jess, you crack me up. That's a great story.

Lindsay, I'm sorry you threw up so much. =( I haven't had it that rough.

Nanci, I totally agree with you. I know my limitations and I stick to them. I rest if I feel I need it. I ask for help if I know I shouldn't/can't do something by myself.

Jenny said...

I am not as hardcore as you, but it totally bugs when people coddle when I don't need it. I'm like, dude. Come back in a month when I'm too fat to walk. I will really need your help then. I am always afraid I will somehow use up other people's good deeds before I need them. I don't have a problem telling people I feel sick though. I think I was hoping that maybe the more people I told the faster it would go away. It never worked though.

Anonymous said...

that is why i don't like to tell anyone for about 3 months, when i am really feeling sick. then i have to act extra tough around them to not let them figure it out, and it makes me feel better than if everyone was acknowledging how terrible i felt. anyway, good luck.