Friday, March 04, 2011

Granola girl

I think I've somehow turned into a granola girl over the years, and I have to say that I like the lifestyle I lead (most of the time). Cloth diapering, making my own bread (and granola, and snacks, and most meals from scratch), heavily limiting my kids' sugar intake, cutting out margarine (how in the world did I think it tasted better than butter??), not shaving frequently enough (once when I was teaching Dean to draw stick figures, he insisted I put poky hair on the woman's legs! hahahaha), not wearing make up 99% of the time, etc. It's true I'm no longer a vegetarian, but I think I am at heart. It just makes my marriage run a whole lot smoother incorporating some meat. But c'mon, I still feed my family of 4 on 1 chicken breast or 1/3 lb. beef in most meals...

My latest addition to this "natural" things is my recent running shoe purchase. I just decided to keep them today, so I can't tell you how totally awesome they are just yet. I'm just now testing them out.  I got some vibram 5 finger Bikila LS shoes. You don't wear socks with them. They double as a water sock. You can wash them in your washing machine.

To explain the theory behind it, I"ll include a blurb from their own site, " Imagine footwear that can actually help make the foot healthier, that can strengthen muscles in the feet and lower legs, improve range of motion and increase sensory reception important to balance and agility. Imagine footwear that might just make running safer and healthier, by encouraging a forefoot strike and a more natural running form that creates less impact on the knees, hips and lower back. That is what Vibram FiveFingerscan offer.


We are not saying that Vibram FiveFingers® is the only footwear you will ever need. There are times when we need the protection and security of a boot or shoe. Like all things in life, there is a balance, and Vibram FiveFingers® offers an alternative to traditional footwear. Wearing FiveFingers for fitness training, running or just for fun will make your feet stronger and healthier – naturally. ."

I've been having some knee problems recently, so I was interested when I heard a friend of mine talk about these shoes and how they helped her knee and hip problems that resulted while wearing regular running shoes.

I will let you know how I feel about them after trying them out for awhile. I ran 1.5 miles on the treadmill with them yesterday and 3.5 miles on the road today. I can tell they work my calf muscles more than a regular shoe! I want to go further tomorrow, so we'll see if that's practical. Like any new shoe, it may require a little getting used to.

3 comments:

Th. said...

.

I've been seriously considering buying some of those. Let me know how they turn out.

mad white woman said...

Other than the cloth diapering, I wouldn't consider all those granola-ish. Or maybe that's just because I do all the other things and I don't consider myself a granola type. :)

Those shoes are crazy. I saw someone wearing some a while ago but didn't even know they existed until then.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Th. After wearing them for the last week and about 30 miles, I still quite like them. They're different, that's for sure, but a good sort of different. My calves were pretty sore after the first couple days, but that went away. I don't know if it would do that if you were just walking around in them. I actually would love to get some of the flow (more open on the top, not for running) for every day summer life I think.