Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Recital a Success!

I was a little worried last week about my Christmas recital. It seemed like no one had practiced enough and Thanksgiving threw things off. But we had it tonight and it turned out great. I didn't require the pieces to be memorized this time (only in the spring), and that helped out a lot. I was pleased with everyone, but like always there were one or two kids who stole the show. Tonight it was a 9 year old student who's only been taking for 1 year. She played Silent Night out of the regular hymn book with the pedal!! And she played it flawlessly. Hers was the hardest song of the night and she's one of my newest students. It's hard to explain to other parents why some children do not progress that quickly. (Especially when the parents think their kids are moving too slowly and that I'm not challenging them enough! I really do try and work with their aptitude. I'm just not sure how to deal with parents who second guess what I'm doing with their kids and are bugged that they're not moving through books faster.)

I ended up playing Good King Wenceslas from Sally deFord's website. I downloaded it and played it last night for the first time! I had it on a Christmas CD from church and liked the arrangement. I was glad I could do it in such a short amount of time. Dean HATES it when I practice the piano, so I wanted something short but impressive sounding. He always wants to play or move the pedals instead of me. Plus it means I'm ignoring him, and he doesn't like that one bit.

It's nice to perform sometimes. That's really what I miss most about my youth. I miss being involved in piano, choirs, and performances. It's sad that I don't have that. I don't even do church choir right now because of the distance from the church and Dean's sleep schedule.

I let the kids pick their songs and this was what we came up with: (I only had to arrange two of the songs, so I was happy about that. Someday I need to figure out how to upload my arrangements so others can use them...)

Recital Program:
Drue H.
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Lora S.
Jingle Bells

Zoe S.
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

Lia S.
Jingle Bell Rock

Payton B.
Away in a Manger

Lexie C.
I Saw Three Ships

Madison S.
Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree

Jake H.
Silver Bells

Rachel S.
Carol of the Bells

Mason S.
Up on the Housetop

Cami C.
Silent Night

There was freezing sleet on my windshield when it was all over. Crazy to think it was in the 70's yesterday! Today's high was 30* or something. TOOOO COLD!!!!

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'm glad your recital was a success. I'll bet that you're relieved it's over...I know I was always relieved when the Christmas recital was over -- and I was only a student! I can't imagine the load of stress that was lifted off my teacher's shoulders after the recital was over.

Do you mind my asking approximately how much you charge your students per lesson? We just got a piano and I'm suddenly finding myself with a potential opportunity to give lessons to a family in the ward. The thing is, though, I've never taught before and have no idea what the typical going rate is for lessons. I do know, though, that it all depends on things like the teacher's experience, location, and whatnot, but I don't even know where to start.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I am cheap. Too cheap. I charge $50 per month whether kids have 3 or 4 (or sometimes 5 depending on how the month is laid out) scheduled lessons. I really should charge at least $60 or more. I just have a hard time taking people's money when I know them personally and when I'm teaching 2-3 kids per family.

If there's a month where I have two or less lessons because of my schedule, I charge $12.50 per lesson. I try and do make ups if possible, but I have my kids pay at the beginning of the month. So if they miss because of poor planning on their part it's too bad for them. I'm charging for my time regardless.

You could charge more in NYC. I imagine you could EASILY charge $60-100/mo. (for 1 half hour lesson a week) depending on how comfortable you feel with the price.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Just know that master teachers in NYC charge anywhere from $50-100 per 1/2 hour lesson.

So, even if you feel like you're a novice teacher, $60-100 per month reflects that price.

CASSIE said...

You are such a great teacher!! Hey..I need your address!
cassierubalcava@yahoo.com
Thanks!