Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Shark attack


Many childhood memories of my dad involve sports, ESPN 2 minute replays, etc. I'd have to say that baseball was one of the more watched sports at home. Though I enjoy watching people I know play sports, I never caught the sports fan bug that requires you to know and watch every game on the face of the planet (or TV).

Matt's never been too into sports and takes little to no pleasure watching mainstream games. We don't follow football, he detests soccer and baseball, and basketball is out of the question. HOWEVER, he quite enjoys ice hockey. More specifically San Jose Sharks hockey (the one sport my dad didn't follow!). His dad's a die-hard season ticket holder. At the beginning of the season we checked their playing schedule against the Dallas Stars here in town. No luck. All the games here were on Sunday. Or so we thought.

Raytheon periodically offers discounts for sporting events and other niceties. They had two Stars hockey games at half price for employees. One of them happened to be against the Sharks. On a blessed Monday. We bought those tickets up quickly. Some friends of ours in our ward (he also works for Raytheon) decided they wanted to go so we ended up carpoooling last night.

Matt wore his Sharks jersey. I was a little worried we'd get beat up or something, but I would have worn one too if we had two. As we hopped on a shuttle from our parking, I whispered to Matt, "How many death glares have you gotten?" He whispered back, "I'm not making eye contact."

As the bus filled up we ended up sitting behind our friends. Behind us we heard someone say loudly, "I'd sure be embarrassed to be sitting by a guy in a SHARKS jersey!" In front of us our friend (a very funny guy) yelled "KILL HIM!!" (referring to Matt) We were cracking up. I kind of knocked him and told him to be quiet. Some people next to us whispered, "I think they must be together..." No beat downs thankfully.

When we got to the stadium we were sneaking in two bottles of water since outside food/drink weren't allowed. I know, I know. I'm a bad girl. Slap me on the wrist. Matt took his and put it in his oversized pockets under his jacket. I tucked mine in my pants under my sweatshirt. I had no belt on, no jewelry on, no change in my pocket, etc. so I thought I'd be peachy going through the metal detector. Matt got through with no problems. No such luck for me. I set it off. They had to wand me. It kept going off over my button on my pants (and coincidentally right over my contraband water!). GREAT! I was going to be found out, and that would be SO embarrassing. My ticket accidentally fell (honest to goodness) as he asked me what I had there, so I bent down to grab it . I kind of turned, set the water on the ground behind me and stood back up. I totally thought he saw this whole thing. But they didn't say anything more and let me go. I picked up my water as others walked through the detector and went on my way. Whew! I don't know how that worked out!

The game was fairly boring the first two periods. The Stars scored one goal in the first period. No goals in the second. No fights. Nothing good. The third period was quite intense and we were all on the edge of our seats with excitement. The Sharks almost scored like 5 times in a row in the last few minutes but with now luck! So we walked away defeated. 1-0. But maybe it was for the good of our safety.

We're going to check again for other games we may have missed on days other than Saturday. I say, if you're going to watch a sport, Hockey is the best. Not much better than a contact sport with checking and fights. So much more interesting than...

Maybe I shouldn't finish that. I don't want to offend any of you fly fishers or bowlers out there...

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I HATE stuff like your water situation! It starts out just a little thing, but you end up with huge heartache over it. I'm glad you ended up sneaking it in anyway - Adam and I do stuff like that all the time. Lets just say nobody ever questions the shape of my bust-line at movie theaters...

On another note, could you email me your mailing address? I've got a little something for ya... (sarahflake at gmail dot com)

Mizike said...

Sounds like a better evening than waiting until 9pm for WoW to come back online in order to redo your talents.

Another thing! I am going to stop going to Blockbuster and finding independent films that sound interesting, but suck. I tried watching yet another one last night, and it was terrible! I do not suggest renting "What Happened to Her? And the Strawberry Fields" to anyone. Snore!!!!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I meant "days other than Sunday" in the last few lines of my post. We would love if there were games on Saturday...

Sarah, I'll get right on that. And bust line?? I've never thought of that hiding place for anything more than money.

Mizike, yes, I'd have to agree that the hockey game was much more delightful than waiting for WoW patches and terrible indi films.

Anonymous said...

Cel I think I would die if that happened to me. I have successfully smuggled in extras to the movies all the time (Diaper bags or large purses work like a charm especially if you have a rolled up diaper like it is used, or put a lot of tampons on top, usually the guards dont look beyond that!) Sarah too funny I will have to try the bust next time!

Aaron just fixed up a fan that was at a Hershey hockey game. The puck was hit into the stands and completly shattered this guys glasses and he had a huge gouge right under his eye. Aaron said he would have lost his eye if he hadn't been wearing his glasses. Oh the perks of marrying a dr, you get to hear all the bad stories of things gone bad! love, J

Anonymous said...

WHAT!!! You tried to sneak water into a place that had a no food and drink policy. That's just not honest. Just kidding (trust me). Once when I had been married about two months, my in-laws made me sneak an entire giant sized bag of popcorn into a BYU basketball game. I put it under my big winter coat and looked about 9 months pregnant. I ran into one of my old roommates and she looked at me funny and said, "Uh, didn't you just get married a few months ago?" HAHAHA. J, the candy in a rolled up diaper was just too much. that is hilarious.

live sporting events are so fun. glad you had a good time cel. i laughed over the "kill him" part.

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for the hockey game and drinking the contraband water. I love hockey. I liked it so much when I was a freshman in high school that I was a hockey cheerleader so I could go to the games. Only you don't have to repeat that to anyone. Ever.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Hahahaha. Amanda, that is too funny about the popcorn. The "Kill him" friend told us that he and his friends would have competitions in high school to see what they could get into the theaters. He once smuggled in an entire berry pie. A pie! Imagine being the cleaning crew and finding a pie tin in the isles.

And yes, J. those are GREAT tricks to save for future use.

And Mucculloch, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a hockey cheerleader. I saw the ice babes at the stars game cleaning the ice occasionally. That was new to me. The sharks don't have scantilly clad girls clean the ice. Just the zamboni.

Mizike said...

I was going to blog about this last night, but my stupid wireless router started acting up last night.

Maybe Matt has a new MMOG to play! They are going to make one based on the TV show Firefly.