Friday, December 15, 2006

Out with the old and in with the new

I decided to finally take the plunge and switch to the new beta blogger thingy. We'll see how this goes...

Also, speaking of old, have any of you ever wondered why there are so many people still sporting horrendously non-flattering 80's style haircuts? Come on, you all know which hair cut I'm talking about. The poofed up, high bang/top, sprayed-so-heavily by aquanet-you'd-be-afraid-to-light-a-match- around-it hair.

I admit, I have lived through so pretty bad hair years myself. It was especially difficult trying to tame my curly hair when I didn't know was truly curly. I'm actually still trying to figure out what to do with hair in this humidity, but there are some hair styles (and clothes styles) that really shouldn't be resurrected regardless of location or time.

When we lived in UT we didn't see that hairstyle very often. There was, however, "UT hair" that Matt so detested (dyed blond with streak chunks with a bob cut that had the poof back), but that really doesn't rival some of the hair I've seen here.

In all honesty I can often take a good guess at why these people still do it. Some think they have a skinny face and want to give themselves a little more shape. It reminds some of their prime and what a fun time that was. It makes them feel a little younger though it often dates them and makes them look old. Or some people just have a hard time with change.

I often wonder if the same thing will happen to "my generation" 20 years from now with styles of "our day". If my peers will still be sporting the overly dyed (and eventually fried) hair accompanied by an orange leathery fake-and-bake tan.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

blogger hates me. I still haven't gotten a beta invite. WHY???? Is it because I have a short blond bob haircut?? Cause I can grow it out!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

When you log in it doesn't have a big thing saying something like "upgrade to the newer blogger now"?

I have been putting it off and putting it off because I thought I'd have to create a Gmail account in order to log in. But that's not true. You just have to create a google account using your current email address. It was easy and relatively painless.

Good luck in upgrading!

Anonymous said...

And the reason for upgrading to beta is, what?

As for the UT hair streaked in chunks--that was a style everywhere. For about 6 months. Maybe UT held onto it longer. There was even a BC cartoon about it.

I'm always amazed at how much some women are willing to spend to tint, weave, streak, etc. their hair. And then in a month it grows and there is a line.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

It's held on longer there for sure. And I'm not saying that all dyed or streaked hair looks bad. It's just when it is so blatantly unnatural and fake looking.

Agreed though, I can't imagine spending that much money on hair upkeep. I do have a friend who spends a good chunk of money on hair dying, and it really affects her mood. So, I guess it could be concidered a type of anti- depressant for some. She keeps it blond streaked for the spring summer and goes more brown for the fall and winter.

Anonymous said...

qruivwell, there is this really trendy girl in our ward. obviously the most stylish in our ward, but definitely with a funky flair that only teenagers can get away with. and what is she wearing? 80s styles. She dresses just like Madonna in Material Girl. She even pulled all of her hair up so that it cascaded in curls down one side, just like the old banana clip days. anyway, styles supposedly cycle every 30 years, so i guess we had better start stocking up on aqua net and shirts with shoulder pads. i'm scared! also, if you look on gap.com, their styles are kind of tapered leg pants and baggy shirts. definitely 80s. YIKES!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I don't mind the idea of recycling styles so long as you do stuff that's flattering to you. Can you imagine how HORRIBLE tappered pants/skinny leg pants would look on a girl like me with a huge booty? Some people may be able to wear things and get away with it, but some styles are not for everyone.