Thursday, February 24, 2011

Let down

After 3 years of talking about needing a new bed, we finally bought one on Monday during the President's day sale. It was very apparent that Matt and I had different bed preferences. He liked firmer beds, and I liked plusher beds. In truth, we need a sleep number bed, but it's just not in our price range. After an hour of trying different beds with our kids running amok around the store, Matt had it narrowed down to his two favorites. He'd ruled out my favorite by saying while it was comfortable, it was too soft and he'd still have back problems most likely. 

His final choice was ok, though firmer than I'd have chosen on my own. We ended up buying a Simmons Beauty Rest King size.  It's supposedly in the "medium" range for softness. I thought it would work fine for me.  But then it came. And I realised the brand new bed was acutally much firmer than the one in the store. Of course it would be, but I hadn't thought it through. Matt's happy with it.

I was angry. Very angry the first night. Paying as much as we did, I wanted to love it, and I didn't. I hated it. I don't feel like I sleep a lick better than we did on our old mattress. I have been crazy exhausted this week, and it's frustrating. I'm honestly thinking of buying a twin size pad for my side of the bed that I'll put on top each night.

While I'm on the "let down" kick, I'll also say that the ninja food chopper is not great. I bought it for myself for Christmas on Black Friday. I bought it to replace my dying blender, and it's not great. I'd much rather have a quality blender. It doesn't get the spinach for my isagenix shakes nearly as smooth as my blender did, and I'm not really a fan of being aware of the spinach as I'm drinking it.

To combat the negativity of this post, I will leave you with some of my favorite purchases in the last few years:

Ergo baby carrier. Best. Baby. Purchase. Ever.  I still use it often, and both my kids are great walkers and weigh over 25 lbs.

FoodSaver.  I got it and lots of bags for $10 at a yard sale. I have used it TONS and it would have been worth paying retail price for it.

6 comments:

AmyJane said...

My parents have a sleep number bed and I covet that thing. We are also similarly mismatched on bed preferences. I hope your new bed softens up--let the kids jump on your side every day?!?! Okay, maybe not.

mad white woman said...

That sounds like us looking for a bed when we got married. Fortunately, we both really like our bed, but the guest bed is a firmer mattress and Jason prefers that. I think it's because guys are heavier so they sink too much in plush beds and just right in firmer beds. That's my theory, anyway. I'd be annoyed too, spending $$ on something I wasn't happy with and that I spent so much time using.

Melissa said...

Is there a warranty? Could you return it and find something that you both like? Matt may be happy, but he won't be for long if you keep losing sleep! "When Mama ain't happy-NOBODY'S happy!!" lol

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

We do have a warranty on it. We have to keep it for 60 days (they say you're not giving it a fair chance if you take it back before then), and we have up to a year to trade it in. We can only trade it in once, though. That's a little scary, because what if the next one is worse than this one? But if my back aches continue, I think I'm going to have to insist...

Amanda said...

We have a memory foam, and we both LOVE it. I wonder if you could get a memory foam mattress topper for your king size. It would be a little more of an investment, but it might save you some shopping time, some sleep, and possibly your marriage (just kidding on that last one). Also, I can't live without my memory foam pillow now, but the first week it seemed way too firm and actually gave me a kink in my neck. A few people swore by them, so I decided to stick it out, and now I have to take it with me on trips, I love it so much. Shopko is famous for having their memory foam products on really good sales. Like 75% off. Maybe you will come across one in the next 60 days.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Thanks for the comment. I've been looking at memory foam pads for me, but since Matt's happy with his, I'm honestly looking for a twin pad. It will be weird that I'm 2.5-3 in. higher than Matt, but we each stay on our own sides when we sleep anyway, and maybe both of us will be happy??