Sunday, October 11, 2009

Potty Talk

Final (for now) decision on cloth diapers:
I really liked the Gro-baby diapers a lot. Way better than any other diaper we've tried yet. Dean likes them. I use the 4 we have at least every other day because he wants "the orange diaper". However, I have decided to stick mainly to disposables. I have gone back and forth and back and forth. The clincher was when I needed Matt to change Dean when he was in a cloth and was like "what the heck am I supposed to do with this?" It was only a pee diaper too. I can't imagine if it had been poo. So, I know I can't change every diaper for the rest of our diapered children's lives, and I know that Matt's not for it at all. So, it's a no go for now and probably forever. If my husband was even slightly supportive of the idea, I'd probably go for it. With the diaper sprayer I don't think it'd be that big of a deal at all, just so you know.

As for potty training:
Well, Dean's really upped his request to go potty recently. This past week he started asking to go in public. At Target on Friday we made a bathroom trip twice. At the ward chili dinner he asked to go once. At church...well, he went 3 times during sacrament meeting and 5 times during nursery! (Always a little tiny bit of pee, never yet poo in public.)

Then when we got home from church I was trying to get him to go down for a late nap, but he kept telling me he needed to go "pee-pee, poo-poo". I'd take his diaper off, he'd pee a little bit, cheer, say he was all done, and wash his hands. Then I'd put his diaper back on just to have him immediately tell me "pee-pee, poo-poo!" He did this maybe 5 times. It was very frustrating, because I think he was mainly stalling so he didn't have to go to bed. (This process took about 1/2 hour! We did, in fact, end up canceling his nap and put him to bed an hour early tonight.) He always was able to squeeze a little out, and I was afraid not to let him go. While he's successfully gone poo on the potty a number of times, he generally still goes in his diaper.

I'm amazed at his willingness and desire to try and go on the potty so young (not yet 2!). He's still not yet able to pull down his own pants (unless it's really elasticky or loose). We tried pull-ups, and honestly, I don't think it's any easier or better than using a diaper. He doesn't like how they fit either. I might try buying underware sometime realively soon and just going for it. (Birthday present maybe...) Not yet for night time. I'll put him in a diaper at night for a while I think.

No comments: