Thursday, July 24, 2014

The end of an era

 
Ten years ago I graduated from BYU with a degree in Marriage, Family, and Human development. I spent another two years in Provo working as a cook for a residential treatment center while Matt finished up his schooling. Eight years ago he graduated and the two of us, pre-kids, moved to Texas because he was offered a job with Raytheon as a software engineer. A place I would have never expected to live. Remote from family. 

Over the next few years we figured out our infertility issues and had a few kids. After we had Walter, I really felt the sting of being away. Away from family. Away from friends. I felt very isolated. A little crazy. Matt wasn't really enjoying his job much at that point, and so I began trying to find a way out. I had one of my friends inquire at her software engineering husband's work if they were hiring. Before we knew what was happening, he had a job offer. It was a tough decision, but after going to the Temple and praying about it, Matt just felt it wasn't the right time or the right job.  There was no way we'd be able to sell our house in the condition it was in, so we turned down the job offer and set to work on our house. That was at the end of 2010. We put so much work into that house. All of it after hours when the kids were asleep. Matt tiled and put in a wood floor. I painted and painted and painted. In 2012 we were finally at a point where we could sell. Good thing too since I felt we were busting at the seams with our 3rd baby.  I never really felt like McKinney was my home for the rest of my life.


With no new job prospects, and Matt feeling relatively good about his job, we decided to sell and buy in the area. We moved to a smaller town just north of McKinney and I fell in love. I finally decided that this was it. This was where we were going to live for the next 20 years of our lives. I decided to start living the life that was waiting for me rather than wishing for the life I had planned.

I loved the little community we moved to. The streets were wide. The homes were beautiful. The people were friendly. If felt safe and comfortable, and it felt like home. Sure the summers here sucked, but we had a pool 300 feet away! It was doable. I walked Dean to school every day, rain or shine because we lived in the perfect location. Whereas it was difficult to find piano students in McKinney, students just landed in my lap here. Overnight I had upwards of 16 students. I was busy, to be sure, but it was a good busy. This was my most talented group of kids yet.

I have loved the friends I've made in our church and on my street. I was settled. I knew what to expect.

I had my 4th child out here and was just getting back into my teaching groove, planning out my studio for the fall, when Matt asks, "What would you think about moving to Provo?"  A company had contacted him through Linkedin. Um...? Yeah? That would be cool. I mean, to live near 2 sisters would be pretty awesome. He decided to at least look into the opportunity, not really knowing if it would bring about anything. What happened next felt like a whirlwind. He had three interviews, and within as many weeks we were saying yes to their offer. It was not a decision we made lightly. Texas has been good to us. Raytheon has been good to us. While there have been bumps along the road, it has been a good journey overall.

There was a promise of something new yet familiar. A promise of family. We'd be within a day's drive of both of our parents, a 30 min drive of two of my sisters, and a 40 min. drive from his brother.

So all of a sudden we had two weeks to get our house on the market and another two weeks to move. We worked our little tails off to get our house ready. I'm still not sure how we did it. So much work. So many kids! =) We were tired, very tired, but we listed last Monday. And no one came to see it until Friday. Let me tell you, it's a little stressful working so hard to get it ready and to keep it ready to not have anyone even LOOK at it! And then one family came to see it. I was bummed, to be sure, that only one family had seen it in the whole week. But then on Sat. night we got an email from our Realtor saying we had an offer for our asking price! Praise the Lord it was a miracle! Seriously. I have no doubt that the Lord's hand was in this.


 












And that brings us to the present. Tomorrow is Matt's last day on site at Raytheon. We have next week to celebrate Walter's 5th birthday, Matt's 33rd birthday, and then we pack everything up and head west for a new adventure.

6 comments:

Siouxsie said...

I'm so sad to have you guys move but so excited for you to get to go somewhere that offers you more of the things that you most want. Good luck!

MDawg said...

Wow! That sounds like a crazy few weeks and quite a big change! I'm excited for you to be closer to family. Do you even have anywhere to move to? I hope all goes well with the move.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Yes! We are renting for a year in Cedar Hills. It looks beautiful. We'll hopefully find somewhere to buy or build during that time.

QA said...

Good luck with the move! I'm looking forward to having you closer...which hopefully means seeing more of you!

Anonymous said...

You're going to love Provo!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Qualtrics