Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Locked Out

I locked myself out of the house today. We changed our locks about 2 months ago. These new locks are much more secure, but you can open the door from the inside and it will remain locked if you shut it again.

While Dean was taking his nap I decided to go thin the plants in our garden. When I was done and heading back in, the door was still locked. DOH! It was close to Dean's wake up time, so I was a little worried. I went and knocked on 4 neighbors' doors to see if I could use someone's phone to get Matt home. No one. Then the guys installing our neighbor's pool drove up. I asked if I could borrow a cell phone (first in English). Blank stares.

"Necesito un telefono mobil para llamar a mi esposo. No tengo una llave a mi casa y mi nino esta adentro."

Still no one said anything, but one guy pulled out his phone and let me use it. And then I felt stupid because I didn't know how his phone opened. (I swear I'm totally cell phone illiterate since we just have a pre-paid-no-bells-and-whistles-cell phone.) He opened his phone for me, and I called Matt. Luckily he wasn't in the lab and was at his desk. Luckily he only works 1.5 miles from home. Luckily he could easily come and rescue me. And luckily Dean was still asleep by the time I got back inside. Phew.

The only thing one worker said to me when I finished with the call was "Todo bueno?" my response, "Si."

10 comments:

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh, and for you Office fans, I TOTALLY felt like Oscar and Jim (when they were locked out/in and had to be rescued by the Spanish speaking cleaning crew) when this happened.

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

That thought totally went through my mind as I was reading your story! I'm proud of you that you thought to start off in english!

CASSIE said...

HILARIOUS! AND SCARY I GUESS! AT LEAST YOU KNEW THAT MUCH SPANISH TO SAY SOMETHING...I WOULD HAVE JUST HAD THE BLANK STARE BACK AT THEM!

-Laura- said...

I have to say I'm majorly impressed with your spanish. :) When Janelle was two she locked the door behind me while I was taking the trash out and then couldn't open it back up for me. She was stuck free as a bird in the house for a good 45 minutes while I frantically knocked on doors looking for anyone home! Fortunately there was no major damage done...mentally or in the house.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

My minor finally came in handy!

Erin said...

Yup, totally did the same thing. But Anna was awake and screaming her head off and my husband works 25 miles away!

So glad everything turned out okay and I too am super impressed with your Spanish skills!

Rubalcavas said...

Ha ha...that is too funny!

Jodi Reeve said...

Ha, Caleb was the one who locked me out. I was outside for an hour, thankfully Josh was asleep and I could talk Caleb through unlocking it. The reason it took so long is because he saw the wind blowing the trees and he was in a stage being scared of the wind. Caleb also got distracted (after his tears ended) and asked if he could watch Baby Noah, to which I responded yes, after you let mommy in, he went to the DVD player, put the movie in and then came back and unlocked the door as calm as could be. I had brownies in the over too. I had just gone out to the garage to get a can of something, Chris had left for a stake meeting and all I could do was pray. Now I keep a spare key in the garage, and I have used it once.

Lindsay said...

Locking myself out of my building it one of my big fears. I'm totally paranoid and check to make sure I have my keys with me like 5 or 6 times. Glad you got back in quickly!

Sarah Pace said...

Yikes! THat has happened to me but Aubrey locked it and didn't know how to unlock it and our house is a deadbolt from the inside only!! So we ended up having to break the door and the new drywall around it before we got in!! So i'm glad it went alot smoother for you!!